Is it worth doing an advanced riding test?

j0hn
This post is 3637 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've always wanted to do one but I wasn't sure if it was worth the cost. I'm not doing it because of the "possible" reduction to the the insurance premium but to better my riding skills I guess. It's apparent that's not always the case since I did Pass Plus for driving and there was no reduction to the premium with it (even though the insurance company has stated that they do).

Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) caught my attention and they do a course, test and one years membership for £139. The only worry now is that I'm still riding around on the XT 125 X which struggles to obtain 70mph on the motorway. So I might just have to wait until I move up because I think I read somewhere that as long as your bike can go above 70mph then it's suitable for an advanced riding test. If that's the case then I could always do the advanced driving test on the car and do the bike one later. The plan is to do an advanced test for both vehicles :).

Has anyone done one of these and is it worth it :D?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Anything that makes you a better driver/rider is a good idea, a mate and I were going to do the local Police rider course last year but he had his bike nicked so we didn't go, but this year I plan on doing it just for the fun of it, most folks who are on it are there cos they got caught doing something stupid and it was this or a fine, I would like to do it before that happens. :jossun:

• Like 1

"Take what is useful and discard the rest".

I find this being said a lot about IAM courses - They teach some good stuff... but some of it is useless bollocks that does more harm than good. There are some members who are great, both as riders and as people. They tend to be the kind who take only what is useful.

Unfortunately, most IAMs I've met are elitist wankers, who think holding an IAM pass is all about going as fast as you can and riding like a fucking dickhead. Most had 6 points or more on their licence and there seemed to be at least one accident every time they went out for an organised ride.

The worst of them I ever knew spent an hour trying to get his knee down on a roundabout, instead of conducting my DAS course like I'd paid him to!!

I also had one IAM twat seriously cut me up, back when I was new to my Club at the time. He actually clipped my right mirror because he was "high speed passing" that close to me.

By contrast, I've only ever heard good things said about BikeSafe days and the ROSPA members have a better rep.

But before you start anything advanced, you'll need a firm grounding in the basics and riding experience, if for no other reason than knowing what is useful when you're taught it.

A bigger bike would definitely be an advantage, but even then get a decent amount of riding time in on that before you look to the advanced side.

Meanwhile, something you can do to improve your riding right now is read.
Specifically, 'Roadcraft: The Police Riders Handbook' and perhaps also A Twist Of The Wrist (vols I and II). I personally didn't like the latter as it seemed too full-on racetrack riding science from the outset, but Roadcraft regularly gets a read from me!!

Thanks for that. It's sad to hear all the ego boosts riders seems to get with an IAM certificate which seems to permit them to ride as they please lol?

Riding experience wise, two years on two wheels this August and I've covered over 15,000 miles in that period. I actually bought and read the Roadcraft book well before I passed my bike test and I do read it from time to time, it is indeed a great read :D. I guess the best thing to do now would be to keep riding, hold off until I get on a bigger bike and after some experience on that, I could look into doing an IAM. They also advice people to wait until they've been on the road for more than an year before taking on any course. I'm thinking of maybe trying out the car assessment at least to see how well I'd do on the advanced test since I've been driving for over a year now.

I've heard of RoSPA but didn't look too much into it. I'll have a look, thanks.

I had the same experience as ttask. Lot of premadonna hero's. I pulled out of the group because I would not ride in line. There are some insights but their blinded by their own egos.

The polic on the other hand, wow. If you even get half a chance to have one of those guys give you advice take it.

I did one at the mcn (I know) Skeggy do. I learned more in that hour than I thought possible. 5 of us with him. We get out to some proper empty roads and he pulls us up. ' Ok lads stop fucking about, dont take the piss but your riding the fastest point to point transport so prove it', Were all on some sort of sportsbike and he makes us look like teenagers. Within a couple of miles he is way ahead, hasnt crossed a white line, stuck knees out nothing. Not a lot of braking and glassy smooth, observation everywhere.

It was 10 years ago and I still ride the way he told me. (I hope).

It's sad to hear all the ego boosts riders seems to get with an IAM certificate which seems to permit them to ride as they please lol?

That's what they think, anyway... The points on their licences would disagree!! :D

There are some good IAMs out there, so don't be too put off. Just apply some common sense at the same time.

Whats already been said is basically true I'm a former RosPa rider, if you fancy doing any advanced riding do this one as your trained largely by Police riders, You may get a small discount but be aware that the cost in fuel etc will out way any savings.

There are arseholes in all clubs and RosPa is no different.

PS. The reason I'm not RosPa anymore is that too many people were getting Gold standard just for knowing the handbook when they next to no bike control.

I tend to agree with the rest. Did the course myself, found the club a bit snooty about guys with battered bikes ( two young kids were draining the budget). Told to do silly wreckless things that actually made me at higher risk, like not giving way to trucks if it was my right of way as a 'dominated' the road (doesn't take Steven Hawkings grip of Physics to work out who wins in a 200 kg v 35000 kg impact). I have also done bike safe and rider down with fire brigade. Really good as these are real professionals and show it in their actions.

Wil

I have the ERS course done with B grade and I can tell you that was helping me a lot like a new rider. I can`t tell you anything about the advance rider scheme or bikesafe program but I think is good to take everything what can help you from all those kind of trainings. you don`t need to be member of a motorcycling group and you don`t need to ride how they tell you. you must just take the best things for you from all those.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online