FJ1200 Bulb change in the clocks - How ?

DutchFJ1200
This post is 3671 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Chaps,

Duff bulb in the speedo.

Is this a fairing off jobbie ?

Not looking forward to that :-(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Once you've done this, it's easy as pie:

- Take off the fairing intake guards (unclip).
- Take off the fairing intakes (3 screws each).
- Remove the inner fairing (3 screws, I think).
- Remove the 4 large bolts (2 side, 2 top)*.
- Pull back the entire front end, cage and all.
- Remember to unscrew the speedo cable and unclip any cables.
- Remove entire front end and place somewhere padded, where you can easily work on it.
- Gently ease each rubber lamp holder out from the back of the instrument panel.
- Replace bulb. Rinse, repeat.

Reconnect and check electrics.
Reassemble bike in reverse order.
Check electrics once more, then go for a ride!!

FJ Owners Club tip: Might as well replace all the instrument bulbs while you're there, as it's a bitch to keep doing this.
You'll need 10 bulbs in total.

*These should be obvious - The front end is held on by a big boxy cage, with 4 arms that can be clearly seen and traced to the bolts.

Any questions, I am here all week. PM me, post here or whatever.
If needs be, I will get out and take you some photos!

Yeah the 3CV model fairing is doddle to remove.

As above but beware of the bloody retaining clips that hold the separate parts of the inner panels together they can be a bit difficult to undo as they go into metal clips that are held on by bits of plastic and they are easy to snap off. If it's tight then try to do it up first before you undo it and work it off backwards and forwards, if it suddenly goes loose then you have broken it off, an easy fix once its off as the plastic is really thick and will glue and melt back together. I have most of my bikes fairing in the spare room plus 2 spare sets of gauges and there are 10 bulbs most across the top and 3 close to the bottom, someone on here the other day was changing their bulbs and they used LED replacements on their cluster and it looked really good, might be worth thinking about if your going to change 1 bulb then change them all, as said above.

Thanks gents.

With the lengthening days it will be a job for when I really feel like it me thinks.

Clock is in KM so half the time I dunno how fast I'm going anyway :-)

• Who's Online (See full list)