Caring for my new bike

Turbotez
This post is 3705 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Never owned or rode (a manual) bike before. What do I need to do to make sure she is in the best of condition.

I'm a vehicle tech by trade so am mechanicaly minded.

Need to know the basics really, it's a new bike so servicing will be done at dealer for warranty purposes for now.

Anything I can read through to teach me the mechanics behind a bike is good as I have a lot of mechanical sympathy and like to know how things work ;-)

Thanks guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye tez, best run it in, just be canny on it,, but don"t crawl along, as its dangerous [ in todays traffic] get to the first service then after that, its yahoo time,, :headbang:

Your bike manual will tell you the running in period specific to you bike - so maximum number of revs for X number of miles. Each bike is slightly different you see so best to check what the manufacturer says for your own bike.

Another note, make sure your chain is lubed up properly (should be fine till your first service) but if you wash it before its service then you will need to lube it up. very easy to do:

1. buy chain lube
  2. stick bike on center stand so rear wheel is off the floor
  3. put a sheet of news paper behind the chain so you dont get lube on rear wheel and floor
  4. spray lube on chain
  5. rotate wheel to next bit of chain
  6. repeat steps 4-5 til chain is lubed
  7. NOTE: some chain lube is a liquid than turns into a gel so that it gets into all the links in the chain sodont go mad other wise the chain will splatter shit all over your nice clean bike when you ride it.

Also as part of your pre rider checks in the morning, before you start the bike up turn the ignition on take it off the stand, pull in the clutch and kick it into first and rock it till she rolls freely. you may feel a clunk as the clutch plates free up, as bikes use a wet clutch (clutch plates are submerged in the motor oil) over night they stick together so if you dont do the morning rock your sit on the bike half asleep, start her up pull the clutch in and kick her into gear and she will leap forward cut out and you may get the opertunity to drop her.

Apert from those little things your be fine due to the servicing etc, once they are over and you take those tasks on for your self then a little more bits and bobs your have to do. Buy a Haynes manual and a load of metric sockets spanners and a good set of screw drivers and alen keys for your basic tool kit but seeing that your already a vehicle tech you most likely already have all these.

Keep your eyes open on the road and treat everyone on the road as a wanker and keep a good distance between them and you and stay alert at junctions.

But most of all enjoy it.

Another note, make sure your chain is lubed up properly (should be fine till your first service) but if you wash it before its service then you will need to lube it up. very easy to do:

• buy chain lube
  • stick bike on center stand so rear wheel is off the floor
  • put a sheet of news paper behind the chain so you dont get lube on rear wheel and floor
  • spray lube on chain
  • rotate wheel to next bit of chain
  • repeat steps 4-5 til chain is lubed
  • NOTE: some chain lube is a liquid than turns into a gel so that it gets into all the links in the chain sodont go mad other wise the chain will splatter shit all over your nice clean bike when you ride it.
Also as part of your pre rider checks in the morning, before you start the bike up turn the ignition on take it off the stand, pull in the clutch and kick it into first and rock it till she rolls freely. you may feel a clunk as the clutch plates free up, as bikes use a wet clutch (clutch plates are submerged in the motor oil) over night they stick together so if you dont do the morning rock your sit on the bike half asleep, start her up pull the clutch in and kick her into gear and she will leap forward cut out and you may get the opertunity to drop her.

Apert from those little things your be fine due to the servicing etc, once they are over and you take those tasks on for your self then a little more bits and bobs your have to do. Buy a Haynes manual and a load of metric sockets spanners and a good set of screw drivers and alen keys for your basic tool kit but seeing that your already a vehicle tech you most likely already have all these.

Keep your eyes open on the road and treat everyone on the road as a wanker and keep a good distance between them and you and stay alert at junctions.

But most of all enjoy it.

Perfect! I have got chain lubing gear in with the deal on my bike and as it will be daily then I shall be washing and doing chain clean/lube weekly.

Yeah got too many tools and that last paragraph is something I will defo remember!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online