First spill, proper gear saved me some skin

JohnnyBoy83
This post is 3714 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I had my first spill coming out of the Wallasey tunnel tonight. Bike decided to do a bit of acrobatics while I was braking, think I hit a spot of oil or something. I'd wondered whether I needed all the padded/kevlar gear with "just" a 125 YBR, but after landing on my shoulder and sliding along the floor at 30mph I now understand why it's important!

A bit bruised, but I'm intact, so I guess the gear did its job. Bike wouldn't start at first, was just getting the engine light, but after about 10mins of catching my breath and cursing it fired up like nothing had happened. Handlebar is a bit bent, and the right indicator won't work, but otherwise it looks largely intact, just the odd scrape. Reckon that'll be expensive to fix, or should I just take the hit out of my own pocket rather than get the insurance involved?

I rode it home OK afterwards, was a little wobbly but I think that's mostly due to me being all beat up down my right side! Luckily I only live 2mins away from where it happened.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Glad you're OK, you're right wearing the proper gear is always necessary, even on 'just a 125'. The first one is always a bit of a shocker so being a bit 'wobbly' after getting straight back on is only to be expected. Hopefully the damage to the bike won't be too expensive.

Important point:- If your crash helmet contacted the road in any way you need to get a new one.

• Like 1

Yeah, was a bit of a shocker. I know what people mean now when they say "it all happened so fast". One second I'm riding along happily, next I'm staring at the roof wondering what hit me.

Thankfully my lid is fine. Visor was up and scraped along the floor so is goosed, but the actual lid itself didn't make contact.

Glad your ok Johnny, get them bars replaced asap and the indicator, the plastics can wait till you get some more money as they are just cosmetic. How are the brake and clutch levers and the steering rack stopper? (the nobbily bit that the yokes hit when on full lock) worth checking to see if they are fooked too.

If your visor hit the deck and is "goosed" its more than likely your sweed catcher hit the deck too and is best to get a new one, you never know the next time you have an off your head could be relying on that one spot to save you from talking like Justin Beiber

Glad to hear that your okay, Personally I would take the hit out of my own pocket just get the important bits replaced first like bars & indicators as someone has previously said, fix/replace the plastics when have some spare cash.

Would also get a new lid, if visor touched, good chance that the lid did to, would rather spend the money than risk my life with a dodgy lid (again personal choice)

Best thing to do is get back out on it & confidence will come back :)

Shaun

Glad you're OK dude.

As others have said (posted) - I'd get a new lid anyway - 'one head' an' all that.

Steering rack stopper and levers are fine. On second inspection the handlebars are fine too, was just my wonky eyes in the dark last night. Only damage is light cosmetic scuffs, and the right-front indicator isn't working. Think I've been a lucky boy!

glad you are ok ;) this week at lidl you can found some keap helmets. maybe is not the best on the world but is something like 40 pounds and are good for emergency situation untill you have money for a batter one.

Yeah, I'll give them a look, they're doing boots as well and I need a decent pair.

So, I've given the bike another once-over before taking it to the garage, and it's actually just a blown bulb! Bounced it over at 30mph and all it has is some scuffs and a blown indicator bulb, I'm impressed, this YBR is a tough little cookie.

Glad you're okay and it sounds like you had some luck on the damage front. Would agree with the others about replacing your lid, even if you just get a cheapy replacement for now. No point risking your noggin any more than you have to... :)

Glad your ok, that's the main thing. Just put it down to experience now and I would buy a new lid even if it's just a cheap one. there's plenty of decent cheap lids to choose from.

sorry to hear this! heart go's out to you! :(

Nitro are a good, low priced motorcycle helmet - that's what i have always used.

I have fallen once and banged my head, Nitro helmet did its job!

If it has hit the deck then you need to cut the strap (so no one uses it) and chuck it in the bin.

If it has hit the deck then you need to cut the strap (so no one uses it) and chuck it in the bin.

The last one I had that hit the road I gave it to my daughters with a hammer and said make sure no-one else can wear it. Kept them busy for more than an hour. :smash:

• Like 1

The helmet didn't actually hit the deck, I slid on my shoulder for a short while, and my visor was up, it caught the ground. Scuffed the face of it so can't see properly out of it, but the only damage is to the visor, helmet is untouched.

I get what you're saying, and if I'd banged my head I would replace it, but I didn't.

Good to hear you survived! Gear saved my arm some good road rash in December... I knicked my visor too but didn't hit my helmet otherwise... but I only had a really tiny scratch in the top corner of the visor.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online