XV125 VIRAGO - which is the correct crank case breather pipe placement

Kelum
This post is 3771 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

In two of my XV125s, the crank case breather pipe connects directly to the frame next to the carb.

Lately I bought another xv125 that had caught fire burning all the wires, relays, CDI unit, battery box under the seat. In this particular bike, the breather pipe does not connect to the frame, it goes under the engine and connects to the small hole of the air cleaner...

eg3i.jpg

Other two bikes does not have this setup.

I have noticed that the breather pipe emits oil vapor, which goes into the air cleaner and kills the sponge there...the sponge is soaked in oil and you cannot touch it for cleaning...it's brittle..

And oil vapor that goes into carb seems to kill the lubrication of the membrane piston, occasionally while riding when I accelerate, I feel it doesnt happen right away...and the same issue makes bike hard to start sometimes...the piston isnt moving to deliver fuel...this vary issue goes away every time I open the carb from membrane side, take out the piston and clean it and piston bore...

When the bike tells me its hard for her to accelerate, I know its time for a clean up...

In many Indian and Japanese bikes here, I have seen this breather pipe doesnt connect to anywhere, it just hangs down...is this ok?

Further, the right air cleaner does have some small hole for a pipe...connecting breather pipe to this is the original setup?

Thnx in advance! :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Having the oil vapour fed back into the engine to be burned is obviously the more ecologically friendly way, this is the case of all bikes in Europe

Do all your bikes have that? What about the sponge deterioration thing in air cleaner of xv125? As you can see, in this bike part of the vapor goes into the air cleaner...are there oil-resistant sponges / air filters?

Sponge filters are normally slightly oiled from what I've seen, could it be just 'old' and needing a replacement?

Nope, new one...after few rides, the sponge gets decayed as the material dissolves in oil....are there paper or metal filters that last long?

Breather connects onto spigot on the airbox

Read the manual, on its way to you

Thanks Ray...spigot is the word?

Why don't you just run the pipe through a bottle with a "Y" connector oil stays in bottle and air goes to filter?

Why don't you just run the pipe through a bottle with a "Y" connector oil stays in bottle and air goes to filter?

Good idea, thanks!

• Who's Online (See full list)