Spark goes off while riding - Virago xv125

Kelum
This post is 3774 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys...

When I ride my xv125 I feel the engine goes off few secs and then catches again...When this happens in the traffic when you go slower the bike stops...when starting again it starts as if there werent any issue..

I thought it was the CDI, so I swapped my it with my other bike's....problem was still there.

Then I thought it were coils ...swapped them with other bike's ..... problem still there.

When I checked sparking, I have seen the spark stops sometimes..

Plugs are new, carb doing ok, new rods and piston rings..

My culprit I think most likely is the pick up coil....as I feel, the problem comes when engine gets hot...

Pick up coil continuity is ok, it doesnt short the crank case...

Anyone have some idea of its resistance values so I can check...

Your suggestions on this will be highly appreciated..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Could be a restriction in the tank venting system. XVS bikes don't vent at the cap but have a tube running down the frame. If this gets bent, squashed etc it can cause similar symptoms to what you you describe. Don't know how the Virago is setup.

The coils" were they new ? my bets on them,, :yeah:

Yes, I have 3 viragos, tried coils from a smmothely running bike...

Could be a restriction in the tank venting system. XVS bikes don't vent at the cap but have a tube running down the frame. If this gets bent, squashed etc it can cause similar symptoms to what you you describe. Don't know how the Virago is setup.

Tank lid was cleaned...if it is the case, you cant get the bike to start right away right? I mean right after it goes dead?

I hear the miss sound in cylinder..

Hey Klume see your back with another weird problem. I cant belive someone here dosent have a manual to look up the specs for the pick up coil

Just to recap all you have done

You now have proper rings in the motor and thats all sorted right?

You have the new carb boots sealed up ,gaskets fit properly?

Your 3 wheeler voltage regulator is still holding 14v steady?

Your battery is in good working order?

When you swaped coils you also swaped the spark plug boots or did you use the same old ones?

So if yes to all of the above,then lets start with the simple things. So we can all get a real understanding of what is happening

How long did the bike run right before this started?

How long does the bike run right before this problem starts?

Is the rotor and pick up tight? possibly have come loose ?

Have you tried to remove the gas cap and drive it/start it when it has the problem?

How long does the bike have to cool down before you can drive it again?

As for the resistance value of the pick up coil sorry cant help,but if you test your other bike they should be close in ohms value, as you have allready changed everything else related to spark why not swap the pick up and see if it fixes the problem.

Or as you have removed coils from a running well bike test that bike and compare when both bikes are warmed up/hot

is it one or bothcylinders?

Both! Bike goes off..all of the sudden...and catches again...

Hey Klume see your back with another weird problem. I cant belive someone here dosent have a manual to look up the specs for the pick up coil

Just to recap all you have done

When you swaped coils you also swaped the spark plug boots or did you use the same old ones?

So if yes to all of the above,then lets start with the simple things. So we can all get a real understanding of what is happening

How long did the bike run right before this started?

How long does the bike run right before this problem starts?

Is the rotor and pick up tight? possibly have come loose ?

Have you tried to remove the gas cap and drive it/start it when it has the problem?

How long does the bike have to cool down before you can drive it again?

As for the resistance value of the pick up coil sorry cant help,but if you test your other bike they should be close in ohms value, as you have allready changed everything else related to spark why not swap the pick up and see if it fixes the problem.

Or as you have removed coils from a running well bike test that bike and compare when both bikes are warmed up/hot

Hi DT,

How long did the bike run right before this started? /// This bike developed this prob very long ago...It had this cut / kinda knock since the day I bought it first...Never caused an issue though...I rode it for almost an year, daily until the engine ceased due to oil wheel wear..

How long does the bike run right before this problem starts? /// few kilometers..when it gets warm, the issue gets prominent ...

Is the rotor and pick up tight? possibly have come loose ? /// impossible though I havent checked...mech was a professional...

Have you tried to remove the gas cap and drive it/start it when it has the problem? /// opening or closing it doesnt help...I cleared the gas cap vent...Picture it right please...as you ride bike suddenly goes off, both cylinders...and if I squeeze the clutch and release, it starts again as if there wasnt any issue...even when it stops, when I crank it in next minute, it starts ...

How long does the bike have to cool down before you can drive it again? /// cooling or heating of engine dont affect the starting...as the engine gets hot the problem appears often. but when I start even when hot, it starts right away...

Yes to all above!

I still didnt get to the point I should swap the pick up and see...

Got to agree with NSD sounds like the clutch saftey is faulty ( the small switch under the lever),try disconecting it if its a normaly open switch,if normaly closed then jump the wires together.

If your not sure wether its normaly open or closed then un plug it if the bike starts then it normaly open, if it wont start then jump the wires together.

Got to agree with NSD sounds like the clutch saftey is faulty ( the small switch under the lever),try disconecting it if its a normaly open switch,if normaly closed then jump the wires together.

If your not sure wether its normaly open or closed then un plug it if the bike starts then it normaly open, if it wont start then jump the wires together.

Naver Say Die and DT...,

This bike doesnt have the clutch lever switch...My other two bike do have...in both of them, the switch must be closed to start..

You didnt get my idea when I said when I squeeze the clutch, bike starts again...

When the engine goes dead like that, if I wouldnt squeeze the clutch, the bike slowers and stops, so I need to start it again by cranking, to avoid this from happening as I ride, whenever engine loses power, I squeeze the clutch and release it so the engine starts again, just like a bump start...But the problem worsens when you are in the traffic jam...in order to avoid stop, you need to rev high while squeezing clutch...if you keep it idle, it surely stops...

So, I'm pretty sure this aint clutch-related..

Further I checked the wires from pickup to see if they short-circuited with crank or stator coil wires or the neutral switch wires...thinking may be at some point the pickup pulse stops so the CDI stops signalling to ignition coils..

And DT, I told you last time in a thread, this same bike wasnt starting...It was because the membranes piston ( carb ) wasnt moving so gas is not propelled to the cylinders...it was stuck....I cleaned the carb bore and piston and replaced the coil with the right tension...Then it started...

Challenges like these make you a genius!

Ok your always fun to get all the information from.NOT

So the bike wont Idle at all?

or just after riding for how long_________?

If your having to keep the bike reved up to keep it running then your fuel supply is weak,carb is still not right.Or weak fuel pump And before you ask yes a eng can run with less fuel at higher rpms but wont idle.

Pick up coils are just a pulse magnetic generator so the higher you rev the eng the harded they have to work,I have never seen a problem with 1 at idle,a eng cranking over on the starter is only turning at about 500 rpm so if the PM genator (pick up coil) can send a signal at 500 and say 2000 rpm ( you reving it up to keep it running) then it has to be working.

Swap out carb from another bike and I think you will find your problem.Or switch fuel pump

We may not agree on thermo conductivity DT but....

I had the same issues with my little SR when it got warm and that was down to carb set up being too lean. When I stopped she would struggle to tick over and if I turned off she struggled to start again. It turned out I hadn't read how far out to turn the mixture screw.

Nsd why swap batteries,a battery with a intermet short of the plates would cause the whole bike to shut off.I still think it a carb problem

Yep, it sounds to me like the whole bike is shutting off, damn difficult to ascertain the facts though

Environments completely different in Sri Lanka too

Not whole bike...only the sparks go off...I can crank and turn on lights right after the cut off...only the sparks go off so engine stops..if it were a carb issue, it wont fix immediately after the cut off??

Dt,

So the bike wont Idle at all? / it idles, but on and off when this cut off happens, if its with low speed, it stops..

or just after riding for how long_________? /// after 1-2 km run

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online