Novice Checking In!

Dan_Q
This post is 3804 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Dan, 33 from Lancs. I've never ridden a bike! I've always been interested in bikes but my petrolhead route has always been cars since I got my first one when I was 16 years old.

My main bike interest was the motorsport side of it- until recently when I've been helping out a mate do a few jobs on his laid up GSF600. I rather enjoyed that, and started learning all about different bikes off my mate and friends at work, so I had a look into mopeds and I've got myself a project!

Its an RD 50, absolute mess and incomplete, looks like it's been at the bottom of a swamp for the last 20 years- the idea for the moment is to just learn and have a play pulling (what's left of it) apart and refurbish bits etc.

Of course if the need to ride becomes too much before the end of the project, i'll probably just itch the scratch and buy one with tax and ticket.

I've no doubt i'll have a few questions- quite possibly daft ones- throughout the build, so please bear with me and treat me as if I'm a 14 year old building up his first moped ready for his 16th birthday!

Great site by the way everyone, some good info has already been found on here already during my tinterweb searches.

Peace

Dan :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi dan" :welcome: you"l find restoration quite satisfying , can get expensive tho. get you Cbt done before spring,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

enjoy the forum , mine the resto thread,, :photo2:

Hi Dan Welcome to the YOC, no daft questions if you don't know the answer, fire away mate someone will always be willing to help out. :wavey:

Hi dan" :welcome: you"l find restoration quite satisfying , can get expensive tho. get you Cbt done before spring,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

enjoy the forum , mine the resto thread,, :photo2:

Thanks for the welcome mate :) i'm already enjoying it, need shares in WD40 though! only had the bike 3 days!

Ohh how come CBT before spring, are they moving the goalposts again?

I can ride a restricted 50 on my full moped license (came free with any car license before 2001) because I'm such an old get but naturally i'm interested in doing a CBT anyway.

Hi Dan Welcome to the YOC, no daft questions if you don't know the answer, fire away mate someone will always be willing to help out. :wavey:

Thanks buddy, that makes me feel much better about asking :) cheers

Welcome Dan! I'm brand new to bikes too... took me until I was 31 to get my license and first bike. Just be careful out there and take it easy while you're learning how to ride, and always play defense, cars and trucks just DO NOT see you...it's crazy how many people try and kill you out there!

:welcome:

:wavey: welcome to the YOC! Start a project thread if you like. I'd love to follow along the RD resto.

Hi Dan!

I'm new too, bought my first bike last weekend! Can't wait to get out on it. Like someone else has said, there's no silly questions, someone else (probably me) is also thinking the same, so it's good to get it out in the open to help others too :D

aww thanks for the warm welcome people, appreciate it :)

feliks> its nice to know I'm not on my own as a late starter! although I think that buying a basket case proves I'm trying to put it off as long as possible! at first my plan is just to use my little popper out on the backlanes, see if I enjoy it and go from there. I'm not sure if an aircooled 50 built by me would last the 12 mile trip to work anyhow!!

sacha> thanks bud. I may do a project thread but I have lost my garage camera recently and I'm fed up of getting told off on the car forums for having no pics in my build thread! we'll see, its not a popular model but I fancied one of these most when looking what was out there!

doodlefool> see, you've done it the right way- I'm still too scared! get out there and enjoy :D

• Like 1

aww thanks for the warm welcome people, appreciate it :) its nice to know I'm not on my own as a late starter! :D

Hi I am later re-starter!!! at 60. I passed my bike test in 1971, had cars all the time since 1972 and 40 years later got a bike again. So I am new here too, restored a 1960 AJS 350 (Brit bike) over the last 18 moths or so (gearbox is out at the moment) but I have just bought a 1974 RD250(need to get used to that LH gear change as old brit bikes are RH change!!!) Strange, even after 40 years I just got on the bike( the AJS) and rode it like I had never been off it?? The Yam should be here soon!!!Anyway, best of luck with your project, post some pics when you are ready.. Paul

• 2 weeks later...

great stuff mate, nice story :)

i've done a bit on the moped- forks are apart, wheel and caliper removed, brace cleaned and painted, broken bolts drilled out and re-tapped, and i've shot some rattle can paint on the front wheel but thats about it- car project is taking massive priority at the moment as that has a deadline and a to do list as long as my arm. i promise i'll get some pics at some point though ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online