Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3597 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Damn I broke a piece of the fin off the cylinder housing when I was tapping a block onto it to get it to come loose.... just a little piece, shouldn't affect cooling...but it looks poopy now. Damnit.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just a quick update - the parts engine I cracked open - has 0 warpage, and I'm talkin I can't even fit a 0.02mm feeler gauge anywhere on the head or cylinder top! This is good news! Along with that...the pistons and rings are good enough to use as is! So that just saved me $200 in parts right there....not bad!

Parts should be in tomorrow at the Yamaha dealer - he wasn't too happy that he ordered the rings and now I don't need them...but what are you gonna do....shit changes sometimes! I'll have to eat the restocking fee if I have to...but I'm still picking up like $300 in other gaskets and shit from him so he can't complain too much.

Started lapping the valves today... after seeing the results, it is 100% worth the time and effort!

Before:

11940207604_a8fa1e777a_c.jpg
Untitled by feliks.ca, on Flickr

After:

11940048513_26630c8ee0_c.jpg
Valves before and after, or... after and before:
11940617996_c9e9a0133e_c.jpg

Picked up a can of 495-1 Aircraft Paint Stripper to use on the top end - going to try it on the carbon deposits.... I've heard it works wonders! Just don't want to get it on my valve seals because they're still good in this top end!

Holy shit this Aluminum Aircraft Paint Stripper works awesome on carbon buildup on pistons! This is after just one application... I may give them another treatment, but they're pretty damn good now!

Before:

11943351656_0de53beaec_c.jpg
After:
11942499935_c3abdb745c_c.jpg

for 30 bucks I hope your not going to cheep out and not change the valve seals

Looking good. That aircraft stripper stuff looked like it worked

K so the driver you need to put the seals in is just a deep socket basicaly that fit the size of the seal ..measure the seal outer get dril bit to fit and drill the end of a smaller socket so you have a nice taper to fit on the metal part of the seal ...you might even have one in your tool box that wil fit .

Then carfuly line em up push them down as far as you can then tap em down with the tool ..sockets work great for this cause you can add a extension easy.

Ok let me see if I have this right... Modify a small socket to fit over the valve seal and push it down, using a hammer to tap the seal fully on?

Just done my Zed 9. And just pushed then down onto the valve guide, and fit valve after, .. its only the valve guide that needs a special drift to remove and refit,, :smash:

Ah cool... ok should be pretty easy then.

Started on the engine paint today, after stripping the old stuff with aircraft paint remover for aluminum, I hit it with a wire brush and sandpaper. Then washed it with some pre-paint prep tar and grease remover and got to taping. I got self etching primer on one section so far...going to finish off tomorrow when the wife's at school with duplicolor gloss block engine paint, cured in the oven. :D

11972629365_8aeaca1363_c.jpg
11973022184_0d608123df_c.jpg
11972902533_279dc39d06_c.jpg
11973421986_a0e29af1c5_c.jpg

O Just one thing it better to have the valve in the head bfore you put the seal on so you don't chance nicking the new seal with the sharp edge of the valve,this way you can put 1 wrap of tape around the top of the valve to slide the new seal over.Thats why I use a tool to push the seal on with.