XVS 650 Squealing and Smoking - with video!

Tom_d100
This post is 3979 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I'm new, and you can read my intro post

So, in true noob fashion, I need some help!

I am experiencing a high pitched squealing noise. It happens when the the throttle is open and directly correlates to RPM; the higher the RPM the higher pitched the noise. The noise is pretty loud (irritatingly so, in fact), and can still be heard at 50mph with the visor down on an open face helmet. The noise disappears when pulling the clutch in and when in neutral.

Given the above I'm thinking that the problem was probably clutch related? Anyone got any ideas on what's going on?

Is the bike safe to ride the 10 miles to the shop!

Please help!

Thanks

Tom

EDIT - I've solved the smoke (not smoke at all) - so no longer any video!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, thanks both. Yes I've checked engine and final drive oil levels, and both are fine.

She's only got 7,500 miles on her, but prior to me buying her seems to have seen very little use for years; only 60 miles in the 12 months prior to my purchase.

Is it a screeching, scraping metal sound, or a sort of whistly, zooming sound that a spaceship or a hovercraft might make?

If the first one, chances are you have clutch issues. Sounds like something is scraping inside.

• Like 1

I would say clutch as well, scraping sounds are usually a sign of worn plates an easy fix for most folks.

• Like 1

Is it a screeching, scraping metal sound, or a sort of whistly, zooming sound that a spaceship or a hovercraft might make?

If the first one, chances are you have clutch issues. Sounds like something is scraping inside.

Thanks for your reply, it put a smile on my face! At low revs, it's a screeching sound. At higher revs, it's probably more like a whistle. Definitely not like a hovercraft or a spaceship!

I'm thinking it's got to clutch or else I can't think why it goes away in neutral and when I pull the clutch in?

Hi, me again. On listening to the bike a bit more, it does sound quite a lot like a spaceship! Any ideas what it could be?

Goes up and down with the revs and the engine, right?

If you sound like a spaceship, but don't get it except while moving (ie, it ceases when you stop, pull in the clutch and/or click into neutral) then that's just the shaft drive. All 650 Drag Queens do that. You really only hear it if you have nice, quiet, standard pipes on, though.

I kinda miss that noise...