Dragstar 650 non-starter

sentiant
This post is 3984 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

He there folks, i got me Dragstar with a good battery, when i try to start it all i get is a clicky noise from relay (im assuming).. If i wiggle the wires to the right of the battery ( as you look at it from the side) she starts up fine. Im guessing its an electrical connection fault with the starter motor. Does this make sence, and does anyone know which wires this would be.

Cheers

Neil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI Neil, Welcome to the YOC, it's usual to do an INTRO before you launch into a question on how to fix your bike. We get "A LOT" of one hit wonders who want answers and then sod off never to be heard from again, without even a "THANK YOU" so most will not answer you till you say Hi in the "new members" section at the top of the front forum page. Not saying you are one of these! So please do an INTRO, just say who you are where your from and anything you can think of that might be interesting about your self, fill in your profile a bit more otherwise no one will know anything about you. Someone will have an answer for your query but not till you say Hi. It's the same as if you were down the pub, you wouldn't just walk up to strangers and start asking questions would you? It's nice to meet new folks but they do need to introduce them selves first. :jossun:

PS if your stuck for what to say look at the previous posts in the new members section to get an idea of what's required. :eusa_think:

Hi there, sorry about that, i didnt think about how rude that would seem, but you are quite right. I shall do as you suggest as soon as i can.

No problem Neil, you not the first and surely wont be the last, thanks for understanding. :jossun:

Well i had a looky, pulled panel off, watched as i pressed the go button. Sparks flew between the red and black terminals on the block next to the battery (2 thick cables and a plug with 3 inputs). Next i disc batt, and pushed away the insulation rubbers of suspect terminals, and that my friends is where i found the blighter. Like a Gremlin with a wide grin on its face it stared right back at me, the black cable terminal was "LOOSE"!!!!! quick as a flash i took off my T-shirt, donned my already black from grease vest (thanks kent roads for the donation of oil for my shirt) and screwed it back on tight. VOILA!! It starts EVEN when wiggling the wires!!

Disclaimer : any and all terminology used in this write up could and probably are completely wrong.

Keep that 650 Drag clean, take good care and look after it.
Do this and it will look after you.
Fail and it will break your heart when it dies!!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Disclaimer : any and all terminology used in this write up could and probably are completely wrong.

suppose that could go for many of us haha

suppose that could go for many of us haha

I think i will make that my Sigy once im allowed one :)

Keep that 650 Drag clean, take good care and look after it.

Do this and it will look after you.

Fail and it will break your heart when it dies!!

Welcome to the forum! :)

You talking about me there..............? :eusa_think:

You talking about me there..............? :eusa_think:

Given that my own Draggie died because it blew (read: melted) the oil sump seal and pissed the contents out somewhere along the motorway (at empty motorway speed) so quickly that the engine warning light didn't even have time to come on, and that it was *possibly* caused by me mis-seating the sealing ring in the first place... I might be more self-descriptive on this occasion.

Ahhh glad im not the only draggy killer then.

When did that happen?

Just over a year ago, right after I'd just renewed my insurance and right before my wedding!!

Since been using the 'other' Dragstar from the transport range in my impressive garage, which includes a clapped out Vauxhall Corsa 1.4LS. The R1 in Virgin racing colours has now been replaced by a non-running NTV, unfortunately... I loan storage space out to my friends when their yards are full up with 'projects'!

Incidentally, the latter is also the source of my forthcoming foray into the FJ1200 world!

Yer im not sure if im needing a new engine as well? there are some on E-bay but all in the USofA and £00 all in (which aint too bad if you had that sort of cash)

What are you doing with the shagged draggy?

What are you doing with the shagged draggy?

Likely breaking it. Bound to be a few Drag Queens in need of bits in reasonable nick. It's got a nice Hagon monoshock on it.

Also likely selling the 'other' Drag to fund the FJ1200, as well. Will need to talk with the 'proper' owner about that, though... she doesn't use it anyway, now that we have the car and two dogs!!

Well if you do break her give us a shout of what you got going as I may have a few bits off ya.

Ahhh glad im not the only draggy killer then.

your deffinatly not alone

i think riding your draggie under the wheels of a lorry classifies me as a "draggie killer" lol

Um.....yer I guess your in the club too ha ha

Given that my own Draggie died because it blew (read: melted) the oil sump seal and pissed the contents out somewhere along the motorway (at empty motorway speed) so quickly that the engine warning light didn't even have time to come on, and that it was *possibly* caused by me mis-seating the sealing ring in the first place... I might be more self-descriptive on this occasion.

Hmmm... seems the draggie engine doesn't like motorway speeds much... mine blew a minor gasket (the "window" on the back of the rear cylinder) which needed replacing a few months back, and now I'm starting to see oiliness (but not an actual drip leak - yet) on the bottom front side of the clutch casing. I suspect the big gasket is beginning to fail, maybe even the oil filter O ring as well... wish to f**k the draggie had a oil-pressure gauge.

Draggie likes 90mph just fine... Bit upset at 107, but then there aren't that many downhills on the M25!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online