Engine oil

james1985
This post is 3981 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just Googled what you are after and even Wikipedia will tell you what you should use. If you are still unsure, contact your local Motorbike shop or Yamaha Dealership. If they don't know or can't find out for you, then they are no good and shouldn't be trading!lol Else contact Yamaha direct by email or phone, I did that to find out the exact model of bike I have! They are most helpful too!

I'm in an Engine Oil Conundrum myself! Not what SAE type is required, I know all that! I'm trying to decide on which manufacturer makes the best Oil that my 30 something DT175MX needs. A Brand with the right properties inbedded in the oil that will help prolong and protect the inner components the best.

Do I go with Silkolene, Castrol, Mobil or something else? I know Royal Purple is very good for the high performance Japanese Imports and they do a range suitable for Motorbikes too! I might trial it and report back on this Forum if nobody has already!

Dont bother.

Dt 175 gearboxes are from the days of overengineering.

Any reputable bike gearbox oil will be fine. You really cannot kill these gearboxes. Unless you run it bone dry maybe. Even then the fact that there are no plain bearings in there means even a little oil will keep it alive.

I have been abusing mine for nigh on 30 years.

Well thats good to know!

My bike has sat for a few years without running. I've kicked it over a few times through this period of rest, just to keep things from seizing.

My Stepfathers nephews and grandkids have nicked all my fuel in the past and never replaced it so I'm needing to do a complete internal clean of the carb and replacing other stuff on it anyway! Thats why I was going to drop the oil and try out a new Brand anyway!

James, any reasonable quality modern bike oil will do a far better job than the stuff that was around when your bike was built, so just get what suits your pocket.

I've been putting Hellfraud's own brand semi-skimmed in all my bikes for ages without any problems, it's API spec SL and the Radian was originally specc'ed for SE, so the new stuff is at least 6 stages better than Yamaha needed when they built your bike .....

I just got Motul 170 for premix and devcon111 ATF for the gearbox (usually sae 30)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online