First 'real ride' - couple of questions ...

twincle
This post is 3994 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having not long passed my test, we (the wife and I) decided to go for a ride out to the south coast. I've a XJ6 'divvie' with touring kit and as the bike juddered on the front I already know that I needed to stiffen the suspension to counteract the extra weight - i mean ballast - i mean balance - OH damn it sorry luv you know what I mean, so i pumped the rear suspension right round to No.7 and it seemed okay to ride

Q.1. Is the suspension set on No.7 safe to ride with a pillion as I'm not sure as its all new to me?

Now on to the motorway and all was good. I'm still running in so kept it to about 5800 - 6000 revs .... most of the time. Which was fine as I still kept it to around 65-70 mph average and she's never really been on the back for any amount of time, she was happy with that too. When I put it up to 70, about 7000 revs I got a real vibration through the left foot peg.

Q.2. Is this vibration normal?

Wind --- not mine, the less scary one that blows you across the road! How on earth do you 'faster' riders cope with the wind at 65mph + ? Gosh (thats a friendly expleteive) I thought when blown from position 2 to position 1 at 70 mph, so I just relaxed, tucked in low and that seemed to do the trick but still wary ! SWMBO then complained I left her exposed to the wind, you cant win can you :)

Lastly, the dreaded back pain which I sure is caused by me tensing up, but it does get annoying. I think I'm doing it right but flapping me arms like a chicken quickly then letting them loose on the bars and gripping the tank slightly more with my legs, only to find myself in a death grip on the bars ten minutes later after being blown across the lane again grrr. If anyones got any more tips on riding style please feel free to chip in and save my back ;)

I ended up at Portsdown Hill and got a little jealous at the bikes already there, particularly the Ducati Diavel Carbon and the 1300's of all makes, and the R1's and the GSXR's and the... and the... and the... :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You were right to dial up the suspension for the minor addition of a few kilos of wife (is that diplomatic enough?) although taking it all the way roud to seven might have been overkill.

Never had a 'divvie' so couldn't say about the vibration.

Countering a strong cross wind is something that you'll learn the more you ride but it's fair to say that a gust of wind across the road will always take you by surprise and make you arse twitch like a rabbit's nose.

Did you try one of Mick's monster burgers at Portsdown Hill?

Alas I had already eaten a 'small' cod and chips which was the size of a 4 x 4, so upon reaching Mick's all I could take was a cup of tea but I was impressed by the menu so will be returning for sure !

Taking the suspension all the way just felt stable when she got on the bike and not back heavy, but I cant wait to persuade her to get a license :jossun:

Regarding the vibration, most bike have a vib- RPM,,, either get above that rpm or below it, when cruising,,

and take some weight on your feet now and again to ease back & but pain on long hauls,, :jossun:

although I haven't got that model I understand that there is a vibe around 7-7.5 K - tingle in the seat, pegs and bars -search out reviews, particularly the telegrapgh ones by kevin ash, there are two I think.

it's the same on mine but lower, around 4- 4.5 K however I have virtually eliminated it by inserting various rubber washers, getting the carbs balanced and using bar end weights plus I use one of those american air cusion (airhawk) things on a long runs to save my poor butt that doesn't seem to have too much circulation after years of sitting in offices.

regards your back, i used to get that - try and virtually take the weight off your hands, a light touch- takes a bit of practice, try to refrain from tightly gripping the handlebars - again this takes practice, use your knees to grip the tank to some extent and maybe twist the handlebars around a bit to slightly change position.- try and be relaxed not tense - theres also a clip device from M and P so you can rest yout throttle wrist by just applying pressure with the palm.

having extra weight on the rear does make the front more skittish so wind can be an issue, but as you lean forward some weight is transferred to the front balancing it out somewhat.

all bikes do vibrate as there is not a lot of metal to absorb it like cars do. the sweet spot is the speed where you ride at, and certain RPM out of that vibration range.

Regarding the vibration, most bike have a vib- RPM,,, either get above that rpm or below it, when cruising,,

and take some weight on your feet now and again to ease back & but pain on long hauls,, :jossun:

Given me am idea how to get the missus interested in biking!! ;p

Given me am idea how to get the missus interested in biking!! ;p

:eusa_whistle: XS750 at around 4500rpm = damp patches on the pillion seat (the wife really misses that bike!) :eusa_whistle:

• Like 1

:eusa_whistle: XS750 at around 4500rpm = damp patches on the pillion seat (the wife really misses that bike!) :eusa_whistle:

Was it coca-cola? :biglaugha: j/k

I had a dive 600 as my first big bike, I loved it! Absolute tractor of a machine, reliable, plenty of pull low down and starts first time no matter the weather. Mine had 65000miles on her when I sold it and it was still going strong.

Anyhow, the common traits with the divy that I found. At around 3500 to 4000rpm my divy vibrated, feels like the front fairing was going to rattle itself off. I did a lot of research and found that almost every divy rider knows about it, it's normal (assuming its not a violent vibration..). I tried to dampen mine out a little, reattached the front fairing with some rubber washers in place and it helped. But still a vibe, I just got used to it.

Anyhow hope u enjoy :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online