Buying a Yamaha XJ900 1992

celerybob
This post is 3988 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I went to see this bike today and I'm considering buying it. Here's the dealer's description:

"891cc, . This is probably the best XJ900F that we've ever had........and we've had a few !!! It's covered less than 25000 miles and is in pristine all round condition. It's been fitted with Krauser panniers and top box. The engine and gearbox are warrantied by us for a year, parts and labour. We can arrange delivery.. £2,499"

It really is in pristine condition, and the dealer has also offered a 2 year guarantee on the engine and gearbox.

I'm relatively new to bikes and would be grateful for any opinions on this model/year and whether you think this is a good deal!

Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sound great but a lot of money for age, I would have a good look around see what else is available in that price range,

compare all your option's don't rush in, if this is the bike for you do more research on price's it will put you in a better position

to haggle on price also things like fsh, previous mot's, receipt's for work done, how many previous owner's, not mentioned in add.

Tommy is right, that seems an awful lot of money for an XJ900 even in "IMMACULATE" condition, if I were you I would start a serious look for anything else out there. It's 1992 and has 25K on it, not the highest mileage but still enough, the engines on these are bullet proof if you look after them so even 40 or 50K ones (if looked after) will be tight and revy mine (750) has just under 40K on it and runs and rides like new (mostly) it broke down a couple of weeks ago but that was my fault not the bikes. mine is 31 years old and has been abused and ridden in some appauling conditions and still keep plodding on so don't be afraid of one that has a few more miles on it and costs A LOT LESS. Just my thoughts on it mind you have to go with what you like. Good luck with your search. Just another thought, if you wait till Autumn or even the winter most bikes can be bought for a lot less money! :jossun:

I must admit I do like the pre diversion models better! but for that kind of money I'd be looking at fazer's 'some nice example's on ebay

You might try the Yamaha Diversion Forum as they are mostly XJ900 owners on there, agree with the above comments - shaft drive saves messing with chain lubes but it does make the bike heavy.

the 900 has a vibration problem at certain revs according to some reports but they have quite a following as a reliable comfy tourer - nice touch having a fuel gauge - I'd go with your heart myself.

- after a decent test ride of course. (once I had my sights set on a Suzuki Inazuma 750 but when I took it out for a test ride I found that I preferred my XJ600N which was a surprise really)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies.

Thought I'd post back to say I took your collective advice and kept looking around - found the same model, same year with 50,000m on the clock, not immaculate but in very good nick, from a private dealer. No 2 year guarantee but less than half the price at £1,100!!

I absolutely love it. Came with panniers and top box so perfect for a trip to the continent in July. And to think, I almost turned to another company and bought a BMW...

Well done Bob, you will have fun with that and you now have lot's of spare cash, top box and panniers are a real bonus plus when winter gets here you can tidy it up for next year, stay safe. :jossun:

PS a picture would be nice???

Been out for a quick ride in the sun this evening, enjoying this bike more and more. The clutch seems quite stiff, becomes quite painful in traffic, it was the same with another bike (same model/same year I tried) - wonder if it's typical of this bike? Might try lubricating the cable...

Trying to insert a picture, not sure if this will work:

made up for yer bob also slightly jealous, take it easy mate at leased for a little while, that's a big step up cc wise,

probably is just cable I would take it off to see if its moving freely if not lubricate it, if that don't work replace it, about £10 on ebay

Thanks Tommy, don't worry, I'll be careful. And thanks iandouglas, fingers crossed below is an image of my new steed:

34ryu5w.jpg

wow that looks nice, hope you got the clutch sorted - please post how you find the bike once you have had a chance to assess it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online