brake lights and indicator stopped working

londonrulz
This post is 4006 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

I am in a kind of urgent situation. Rode my rxs100 to work and now realized that the brake light and indicator has stopped working. The bike starts and runs as well the headlights.

Not sure what to check. Also not sure whether it would be legal to ride home without indicators. Any help appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The brake light is the one i would be more worried about as you can use your arms to indicate. I would ride it home just to make sure its somewhere safe and you can have a good look over it there, on your journey be very aware of whats around you as you don't want to be stopping to fast encase the vehicle behind does not know you are slowing down.

I would check the wires, make sure all the connections are corrosion free, have a look at the bulbs to see if they have blown. ermm others would probably have a better answer but as it's abit dodgy getting home with no brake light i thought i would warn you to be careful, just encase you have some silly cunt go into the back of you :)

Good luck

• Like 1

Check fuses as well.

I expect the rain has gotten in somewhere and messed up some wiring.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quicky replies, Will surely do the checks once i reach back home. The only issue is reaching home. Although i would be careful of other drivers behind me. Am wondering is it actually illegal to ride like that and can police stop and fine me or probably add some penalty points to my license?

Just tell them you didn't know! and thank you for pointing it out officer. I will get it fixed as soon as I get home, job done, don't panic. :jossun:

• Like 1

They CAN, but fairly unlikely- IMHO

If you do get stopped just say you don't have lock or W/E for you bike and that you thought getting it home was the best idea. I would IMAGINE you'll be fine....however if shit go's tits up don't blame me lol

IIRC, you will have a couple spare fuses in the fuse box. If that's the problem, you should be sorted.

Also, a quick looksee may unearth* a loose connector, which you can just connect back up, easy as.

If anyone at work has tools, you can go more in-depth. Consider chucking some WD-40 on anything important that looks too wet and/or corroded - Maybe just spray some inside the control clusters, in case they're a bit gunked up.

If corrosion isn't too bad, loosen corroded connections and combine WD-40 with a little scrub to clean them up a bit (scrub with a toothbrush or even a little metal thing like a paper clip).

Failing that, get a recovery or take your chances with the cops/getting hit by another road user...

*Unearth - Earth - Electronic earth, ha ha... did you see what I did there!!

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online