XT 125 X rear wheel bearing removal

j0hn
This post is 4044 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

they are pre greased John, perhaps dt thought they werent

so long as you fit quality bearings they'll be ok, some of the crappy ones I have seen hardly any grease in them but good ones will be OK for as long as 'you' have the bike i'm sure

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yep, bearings with metal or rubber/nylon seals like that are "sealed for life". Never try to remove the seal, and when youre fitting new bearings never hit/damage etc the seals, always tap either the inner race(ring) or the outer race. You can only lube non sealed bearings

Always use bearings from a quality manufacturer SKF/INA etc or Yam OE

I tried to make my own but it just wasn't bent enough to catch that small lip. It would catch just at the end of the lip but as soon as you strike the end with a hammer, it slides off. And yea, the axle bolt isn't on too tight, thanks for this tip!

I'm glad I attempted to do this myself and I'll know how to approach it next time :P. You mentioned greasing and new seals as maintenance for the bearings. How do you go about doing that? Do you take out the black seal (picture above where JAPAN is printed), grease it and put a new seal on it? Would this new seal fit in without any issues?

Grouch, I've got my fair share of tools in the house but nothing to tackle this job specifically. I was hesitant going to the garage for this because it doesn't usually pan out as you planned. It was a different dealer (closer to home) from my usual place and was glad the guy did it for free.

I'm thinking of adding a bearing puller to the tool collection, doubt these will get used much but at least I've got it in-case I or someone else needs it. Anyone know if this set on Amazon is suitable for such jobs: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-783172-Puller-Bearing-Separator/dp/B000WTLOIG/

I think that set is exactly the same as this but less expensive, probably because it's not Silverline branded: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Spot-Puller-Bearing-Pieces/dp/B005N78UN4/

Came across these too but they look a bit weird lol: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-MS23-Piece-Gear-Puller/dp/B000LFVPYE/

Hang on to your cash, you would be particularly unlucky if you are changing bearings any more often than a rare occaision, and the majority of that kit would be of little use to you. You will find that improvisation will do the job just as well, or as you found out, a decent local eng shop can always help out.

Na he just has the right punch to hard to explain how to make .I made myown and it only gets used for wheelbrngsto catch that small lip.

But it done and you saved all the expence and tried yourself gained some experience unlike some people :eusa_whistle: not mentioning names LOL if the bearing hadn't been so bad it would have come out like the other side did.Live and learn.

Now don't over torque up the axle bolt that kills bearings.

I know some people are just down right lazy and are scared of getting their hands dirty.

I know some people are just down right lazy and are scared of getting their hands dirty.

but think of his/her contribution to the local economy, keeping the wheels of industry ticking over etc etc, parts ordered and made/bills paid/taxes paid/wages paid :eusa_whistle:

but think of his/her contribution to the local economy, keeping the wheels of industry ticking over etc etc, parts ordered and made/bills paid/taxes paid/wages paid :eusa_whistle:

So really lazy bone idle people are keeping the economy going and putting a stop to the recession.

Jon insted of buyin a puller buy a little mig welder it will comin way more handy..

As far as bearing go,leave the seal in untill the bearing feels silghtly rough,check it everytime you service the bike you will feel it in time, then rip out the seal ,grease it and order new and replace ASAP.if you keep the bike that long.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine went last week, pain in the ass. chuffed to bits that i did it all on my own (well apart from having to borrow some tools).

I have had a couple break - far too often to not have something odd going on, firstly i thought it was the bearing i had been getting that were to blame but i have been thinking and after reading one of your other posts, i thought about when i changed the wheels and can't remember if i changed the sprocket over or not, so i think i have figured out my problem lol.

i have done a fair few miles on this set up, so i think the best idea would to just get a new chain and sprocket (correct sizes this time!) , what do you lot think?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online