85 XV700 timing / backfire ,,anyone ?

vman
This post is 2427 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you changed the exhausts? or have you put bigger main jets in the carbs? this will course back fire etc

Change your plugs.

Check the coil and leads.

Then check for leaks in the inlet system. The inlet rubbers get a real hard time and can crack.

• 4 years later...

I tend to get backfire occasionally when I close the throttle.  It doesn't happen every time, but it does sometimes.  I'll also have it start to die when I go from Hwy driving to city driving.  It bogs down, occasionally backfires, but it dies and takes some time to restart w/ bogging after I get it started.  I have a 83' Virago 500.

Blimey. Another old thread resurrected.

Id be inclined to check the simple stuff firts. Strat with the service items, plugs/air filter/connections etc. You dont give any history on the bike so its tough to know what to say. Has it just been put back on the road, is the mileage high, is it old fuel, does it have the canister for storing and burning spent fuel (cant remember what thats called) when the throttle is shut off

NeverSayDie:  Thank you.  I bought it this summer and have rode it some since then.  It's really not high in mileage... probably ~15k miles.  It sat for years... all alone...  It's just old.  I don't think it's ever had a tune up or a bath.  I'll check the plugs.  and try to clean it up some more.  There's more to fix on it than it's worth.  I just want to ride without injury or ending up in the middle of nowhere with it being dead.  I've put some of that additive to help it burn cleaner and that has helped some, but I still get the problem of backfire every now and then.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online