New Problem ,weird noise

doc-hoc
This post is 4043 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI all ,just looking for some advice today ,, Recently ,well the last couple of days i have noticed a grinding sort of sound from the rear of the bike Sounds like the wheel area to me [XJ 600 S DIV ] . Happens maybe every couple of minutes for a second or two , does not do it when you turn the rear wheel by hand .I have also noticed tiny tiny shards of metal by the wheel if i run it on a stand im thinking to myself wheel bearing worn? if so how hard are they to replace. I use the bike everyday for work so can't afford to be off the road for long.

All help would be greatly appreciated ,, Doc

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Put the bike on it's centre stand and grip the wheel at opposite ends move it sideways to see if there is any movement.

To replace the bearings, remove the wheel, unbolt the sprocket and disk. Once they are removed check to see if there are any circlips holding the bearings/dust covers in place. Remove them if necessary and placing the wheel on a flat surface and using a drift (I have used an extension piece from a socket set) put it through one bearing and knock out the opposite one from the inside. Once thats done turn the wheel over and knock out the other one. Look out for any spacers within the wheel hub and remember to refit.

If you stick the new bearings in the freezer overnight, it will make it slightly easier to refit.

To fit the new bearing, place it squarely on the opening and using either a suitable sized socket, or the old bearing, gently tap the new bearing into place, ensuring it stays square will ease the fit. I use a clockface method i.e 12-6-9-3. Keep tapping it in until it hits home (there will be a stop).Turn the wheel over and remembering to fit any spacer fit the other bearing in the same way.

I've probably made it sound harder than it is, and it should only take between 1 and 2 hours of your time. You probably wont need it but I take photos of each step and place all components in order to help the rebuild.

Whilst the wheel is off, have a look at the brake pads and fit new ones if necessary.

• Like 1

Yip, I meant to say that. Got caught up in the "how to change a bearing"

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice ,it seems to have settled down ,thinking about it, it may have been a scored brake disc as I had recently replaced the back brake pads and the old ones were worn away one almost to the metal .There has been no noise from the wheel area for about a week now so I am thinking the new pads have worm the disc flat again .Does this sound possible ? :eusa_drool:

No the disk will shape the pads

:eusa_doh: Thank youfor the advice so far .Turns out it was bearings after all ,noticed rear wheel had slight sideways movement so I took it apart and the right hand side [brake caliper side] bearing was shot and in bits looks like water has got past the oil seal and corroded the bearing ,local garage has the bearings in stock all 3 for £25 .

So the next question is how hard are they to change? and any advice how to go about it would be greatly appreciated :colors:

John just did his and as long as you don't run into the same problem of the bearing seperating leaving the outer race it's a easy job

You need a long punch to drive the bearing out from the oppsite side,work around the bearing so it comes out straight/even.

When installing use a socket the same size as the outer race,so not to dammage the seal

• Like 1

Wheel off, spindle (axle) out, tap the first bearing out from the opposite side, as dt says, work around the circumference so it comes out square to the bore. The do the same to the second bearing. Clean any crap from the bearing locations, bit of copaslip where the bearings locate, find a scocket just a gnats cock smaller than the outside dia of the bearing, tap it home keeping it square to the bore. Dont hit the seal

Always bear in mind when fitting parts that you might be the next bloke to take them off, so do it right.

Alternatively, if youve not much experience, take it to your local mechanics and ask them to fit the bearings for you, but make sure you watch how they do it for future reference

Good luck

if your not completely confident about attempting it yourself you can still save bit of cash by removing the wheel and just taking to your local garage should save a bit of cash on labor

What you will find is that #3 brng ,1 fits in the drive hub and 1 to the rim, you should consider doing 11 as well as the seals.It all has the same milage

very BAD NEWS upon attempting to replace the bearings the two bearing together came out as easy as pie the single bearing which is the one which was broken is stuck fast ,and as it is inset into the wheel I can't knock it out or lever it out so at the moment the outer ring of the bearing is stuck fast in the whhel any ideas ,, :smash: Looking at maybe grinding it out with a small grinding tool such as a dremel

Weld a large washer to the race,this will do 2 things 1 give you something to hit,2 it will shrink the race making it much easier to drive out.

Finally got the outside race out by grinding a split [which took forever as I had to be so careful] in it .New bearings in ,been out for a quick test run all seems fine .I have just got to bleed back brakes as a bit spongy now for some reason and away I go , :hyper:

I would like to thank you all for any advice you gave :eusa_clap:

Hope your noy GROUCHED all ready,riding on spongy breaks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online