Was this the Ulimate XS,,,

blackhat250
This post is 4055 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Never saw one one the road in the 70"s .. adverts at the time tooted about it,, :eusa_whistle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230938525571?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the 500 had head issues and changed them in the B version ( they cracked) was Yams first attempt at DOHC

for me the ultimate XS was the 650B

xs650b-2247867022735351547934357.jpg

+1 By far the best XS650 roadster. The B 500 never really caught on, the TX looked better in my book. Then the later XS range lost focus and started making average bikes then made the 1100 powerhouse but it suffered from Kawasaki syndrome (poor handling)..

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, had a 500B that I loved, but only because it was mine and it was a first bike. Basically they cancelled production (according to my mechanic who worked for Yamaha when they came out) the year after making the changes to the B model and then made some cosmetic changes to the D/E ones and sold them off. They're a nightmare to find parts for, specifically gaskets and oil filters. Never had any real mechanical issues with mine, and it was reliable for the 6 years I owned it.

Would I buy it again? For the $400 I paid - Yes. For the $800 I just sold it for - probably not (new tires, chain, and sprockets as I'm relatively sure that all of that gear was bone stock from 1975).

• Like 1

Yo jimmy hendrix HAHA Haven't sen you before

The old bikes were cool.! they all handeled like crap ! And still do! But thats what is cool about them.

My first road bike was a 1975 cb 360 honda .. And I loved that bike,I could drage the pipes,foot pegs and beat it daily ..changed the oil when I felt like it,wasn't fast...then came in line 4's in my view...HMMM need 750cc I thought........... a nice 78 gs 750 came along and well it was mine,ugly but it was mine.

Learning how to drive that POS was ?? well fun not realy.

Brut Hp sold bikes till the mid 80's then came back handeling ,shocks , tires ,and brakes,,,, became important again.

Anything in good running order built after??? o say 1990 has the best most normal people could push to the limets. Bikes are now so good that anyone with enough basic skill can look good.

I love the day's when men were men,It took balls to ride the shit out of a bike on the verge of killing you. ...h2 750 tripel anyone who ever rode 1 will know ..??? The gammas of 86 the rz 500 v4 ,nsr 400, lc 350's, *5-up gsxr 705 vfr 1100 Fj 1100 One of my faves cause it was the first bike to break 11.00 second's all way to much HP for the skinni tire of 130'ish(and that was huge in the day and in metric size all new then). The brakes? well untill the 85 Gsxr 750 were just addiquate, The fz 750 had anti dive and a brake system that was grr... well small ....The brakes on my 1981 gs 1100 were 1 in smaller and it weighed a ton more I think they were the same as my 750.

I moved back to good handeling bikes,with brakes during the late 80's and 90's,then came what might be the best bikes ever for the street,The Sport touring bikes in the 2000's 1100-1200-1300-1400 and it just got bigger...faster 1/4 times,faster top speed ,,,duck 175 mph ,,,,lets get 200 out of this bitch and make it street illeagle for sale on the show room floor.

I love the little bikes and the big ones,they are all fun to drive..But I will say...NO FUCKING REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT .bikes ove 500lbs take time to learn how to ride but worth it.

PS that 500 is Ucking ugly,looks like a piece of panneling with lights stuck on the xs 650 gets my vote for better lookin bike. :hah:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online