Can anyone recommend Helicoil installers?

DkD
This post is 4079 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I managed to f'up the sump thread by over-tightening the plug using a torque wrench. Very basic error I know and I'm ashamed to admit it! :icon_redface:

Does anyone know or can recommend where I can go and get it fixed. Either Helicoil or similar in SW London. I wouldn't even attempt it myself.

I spoke to the local bike garage and they reckon a tap might work (as they don't do Helicoils) but I have no idea about tap (and dies) and if it will result in a bigger sump plug being needed. Again a job I wouldn't feel confident in doing.

I've looked on-line and there are a lot of positive reports about Helicoil lasting better then original threads.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I use Recoil system similar to Helicoil I have never had a problem with the system. Look at engineering companies not bike shops as they will do it a lot cheaper also take the bolts as it maybe a fine thread.

PS. Running a tap through wont make any difference as its already weak.

timeserts are considered the better system. very easy to do.

as Preload says, you need to see an engineer rather than a M/C dealer

Most engineering shops will knock up an insert or drill and tap the hole and supply a slightly larger sump plug.

Its an easy job if the sump plate comes off.

We've done the 7mm ones in the suzuki cam caps before - and keep the 7mm helicoils in stock of all the odd ball things to have laying about.

It can be done with the oil pan installed( have someone hold a vac to catch/pull the metal out and drill slowly,to bad your way over there, but realy if you can drill a straight hole then it's not that hard,the tap and all come in a kit. Check out some U tube vid's and get a look for yourself how it's done.

O and if that shop dosen't doo anysort of heli coil replacement I would find a better shop to deal with for future repairs.They are obivisouly not well equipted or educated.

LOL equipted ..the pain killers at work I will shut up now.

• Like 1

Cheers dt502001.. had a look at some youtube vid's and seems a pretty straight forward job (if you have a steady hand ;)). Doubt I have the guts to do it to my pride and joy though.. but will definitely look into it.

hey DkD, if you can get the sump off the bike and get it over to berkshire i could probably help you out, im doing some helicoiling on my XJ Turbo engine at the end of the month

Cheers for the offer wild foamy, very good of you... but

...I chickened out and took it to the dealer last week, who did the job and inserted a time-sert (worked eventually) and cost £65 - big lesson learnt but hopefully means I won't cock it up next time either as they are meant to be stronger then original threads.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online