Email help required

jimmy
This post is 4097 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

A wee problem has manifested itself on my laptop.

Once I close my email page,the next time I open it my inbox has emptied itself. It first did this on Friday night and has continued doing the same thing each time I open the email page. My email account is btyahoo. Anyone any ideas on the reasons for this (the disappearing emails, not why I use btyahoo).

As an aside the IE email still has a full inbox. I just discovered this today, so it was a wee bit of a relief

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Do you use an email client (outlook/thunderbird) or have email set up on another device? If you set one of these up as POP3 I think it can do that. ??

Sach

Although my broadband provider is SKY, the email provider I use is BT Yahoomail, and have done for a number of years. It was only this week the emails started disappearing. Some of those I had saved for reference and I panicked a bit, but clicking on the email icon on the taskbar, Microsoft Outlook came up with all the lost emails. I was just wondering why they are vanishing from the BT Yahoo page

if the BT page is an on-line web based email client, then your PC email is set to pick up the emails and wipe the on-line content.

mine is set-up like this.

If you do try and keep it, you will soon run out of space and Yahoo will start deleting so you can still receive emails.

Otherwise, any sent emails will be bounced back and lost forever.

I am with Drewps. When they are downloaded to Outlook, they are removed from the webmail server. There is a setting somewhere to keep them in the server but this creates loads of issues.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Is this a new thing, as it only started happening last week

Cheers Drewps, unless I'm not understanding you, I dont think so.

My wifes email inbox on BT Yahoo has about 40 odd messages sat in it, whereas mine is emptying after each message, but hey no worries, at least I know they're sitting in the Microsoft Outlook box.

In Outlook under Tools Accounts, select your email account and click properties, in one of the tabs there will be a setting that says 'Leave messages on Server' and a box selecting how many days to leave.

Have a look at those settings to see what they say and get back to us.

Also BT is currently upgrading some or all of its email services to Outlook 360, have you had any messages from BT about this?

I had the opposite problem with my partners virgin account a few months ago. If the virgin settings aren't right it just keeps them. Changed her laptop and set up the outlook. It then tried to download 39,000 emails from the server - many years worth. It took hours to sort out.

I get my Hotmail pushed to my phone and it has always kept copies on the server. Even marks them as read, if I open them.

Despite that, I rarely use that account and just use my original Yahoo ones.

In Outlook under Tools Accounts, select your email account and click properties, in one of the tabs there will be a setting that says 'Leave messages on Server' and a box selecting how many days to leave.

Have a look at those settings to see what they say and get back to us.

Also BT is currently upgrading some or all of its email services to Outlook 360, have you had any messages from BT about this?

As Campaman as said this will be the issue. When you open outlook on your PC this is downloading the emails from the yahoo servers and removing them. You have to specify that you want these to remain on the servers by setting the option campaman is talking.

As this is only recently started happening this setting could have been reset on you by some the the windows updates recently which have also been updating security fixes to outlook.

Cheers for all the replies folks. I have now got used to opening MO

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online