Hi and help with clutch cable please

celerybob
This post is 4109 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello I'm Michael from London - I've been riding a Yamaha SR125 (1993) for a couple of years, my first bike and I love it (despite being constantly overtaken by the lowliest of scooters). My clutch cable just snapped for the second time in a year - it seems to tighten up, and then this puts too much strain on the ball bearing at the lever end which comes clean away from the cable. Very frustrating when this happens 5 miles from home!

Does anyone have any experience with this problem? What can I do to prevent the cable tightening up and breaking like this? And can anyone recommend a good supplier for a new one?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Michael Welcome to the YOC, WEMOTO are supposed to be very good and reasonably priced so give them a try. As to your other question, first check that your cable is not kinked around anything where it travels from the lever to the actuator arm, just make sure it has a clean run without to many changes of direction, you could try lubing the cable before you fit it with a cable oiler, my own preference is to use bluetack made into a funnel at one end then hang the cable from a handy rafter or whatever and then fill the funnel with oil till it drips out of the other end, takes about 10 minutes for it to go through and have never had a cable break on me yet (you just know whats going to happen now!!) Hope that helps? :jossun:

• Like 1

+1 for keeping your cables lubed up!

My Pleasure, Hope it all works out ok for you, if not then come back and we can all suggest something else. Ride safe. :jossun:

Hi Michael from London, I'm Michael from Chippenham.

As the above replies have suggested, I totally agree. Every time I get a new bike, the first thing I get is a Haynes manual, Then the next thing I get is a spare clutch cable, need I say anymore?

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online