Engine Clean

davie6711
This post is 4108 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have just removed the exhaust headers and can from my XJ750 and while it's off i'd like to de-grease and paint the front of the engine. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Obviously I would love to cover the whole thing with petrol or some other de-greasing fluid and stem clean it but this would obviously allow water in to the bores and damage them.

IMG_1514_zps832654f8.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

I would plug the exhaust outlets with a rag stuffed into a small corner cut from a poly bag,

then I would use paraffin from an open tin and work the paraffin with an old paint brush, stand the bike over a drip tray or spread some polythene over the floor and line with old news paper, then to get rid of the greasy paraffin residue I usually brush on some ‘Hammerite’ paint thinners or spray with an aerosol tin of brake cleaning spray, whichever of the two is at hand and or the cheapest,

There will be many differing techniques but this would be the way I would clean it up,

Might have a head gasket issue in the early stages looking at that damp line......

If the engine comes out for that it would be easier to sort.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I was hoping the damp line was just the residue of the half gallon of WD40 that I sprayed on the headers prior to removing the old exhaust.

My new Motad system arrived today!! Woo Hoo! I've never had a new exhaust for a bike before!

I think i'll go with the cheap version suggested using various products available at work. Do you think paint thinners could be used as a substitute for paraffin? I have a litre of brake cleaner so I could use that as mentioned to remove whatever's left after cleaning.

I just hope the bloody thing fits!

Hi

Yes you could use paint thinners, but like any chemicals paraffin included some paint thinners can also attack the elastomeric components, could affect paint finishes and even make breathing difficult,

Thanks for that life saving advice nayruf!

I'll get some alloy wheel cleaner from the work then, that should be ok. Rub it in with a small wire brush thingy that looks like a tooth brush and rinse with brake cleaner?? That sound ok?

I'm not looking for a perfect look or anything but just felt that as the downpipes were off then would be a good time to do this.I'll give it a quick spray with some black paint then fit my new pipes!!

Canny wait.

I'm picking up another project this afternoon which i'm quite excited about but as it's not a Yamaha i'd better keep quiet!

wheel cleaner is acid so be careful with it and use goggles and a funny hat with lights (ignore the last bit)

Aaaaaawwwwww I wanted the funny hat with the lights on!

Anyway I crapped out of doing this job today cos believe it or not, the sun was out in Scotland today!

I picked up another bike today and drove it 30 miles home from up a mountain through ice, more ice then standing water with ice, without ice and then when I got lower there was loads of gravel then some mud. The chap I bought the bike from had just dropped his MINT FJ1200 but amazingly all he had was a slightly bent right foot peg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online