Fz600 Gulf

drewpy
This post is 2845 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm after a voltage reg/rec for the new engine as its a different setup.

anyone have a sh650a-12 VR? its fitted to loads of bikes

• 3 weeks later...

i went to do a bit more on the FZ today....

....and I just thought sack it. and changed the engine over so the new engine is in so I just need to put new needles in the carbs (£52 EEK!) and fire her up (hopefully)

the new reg/rec arrived from China too, happy days :)

Question;

the original coils I have are 2.43 to 2.97 ohms and suit the original ECU

the '91 xj engines have 1.8 - 2.2 ohms, anyone think it will fry the ECU? ( it took me 6 months to find one)

i went to do a bit more on the FZ today....

....and I just thought sack it. and changed the engine over so the new engine is in so I just need to put new needles in the carbs (£52 EEK!) and fire her up (hopefully)

the new reg/rec arrived from China too, happy days :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FJ1100-FJ1200-FZ600-YX600-RADIAN-XJ700-MIKUNI-4-FLOAT-VALVES-NEEDLE-SEAT-/201046576455?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecf4f4d47&vxp=mtr

$55 US! (£32)

Measure the resistance of your coils first. If they are high then swap coils,,

Low ohms coils work better and less back pressure /feed on the cap.

I've found a set on ebay with the same primary resistance (fazer ones) but they have a higher secondary, prob due to the higher compression engine.

Well just thinking about the way a coil works,primary builds and then collapes onto the secondary,in my mind I can't see why the secondary would matter,The voltage has been cut to the coil during that split second and the cap is charging anyway.

So as long as the primary is not resisting the charge from the system then I would think all would be fine.

Well just thinking about the way a coil works,primary builds and then collapes onto the secondary,in my mind I can't see why the secondary would matter,The voltage has been cut to the coil during that split second and the cap is charging anyway.

So as long as the primary is not resisting the charge from the system then I would think all would be fine.

my thoughts too and at only £15 delivered, its worth a punt.

did some more rewiring today, trying to use as much of the existing stuff as I can, which is quite a lot :)

might have her running next weekend then I have 3 bikes to choose from

Nice.

No photos though :( Picture says a thousand words and words give me a headache. Much like this project I bet.

How come you didn't decide to just rebuild your original engine? Was there any particular reason?

Nice.

No photos though :( Picture says a thousand words and words give me a headache. Much like this project I bet.

How come you didn't decide to just rebuild your original engine? Was there any particular reason?

pictures would be boring bits of wire and engine to look at, but if your really keen to see them.

The engine isn't scrap, I have another cyl head to put on and deciding whether to breathe on it a bit.

everything I've done can be undone just as easily.

OK,here are some photos

1/ Engine

WP_20140315_003_zps35dae940.jpg

2/ electrics 1

WP_20140315_002_zps246625a3.jpg

3/ Electrics 2

WP_20140315_001_zps7ae8b691.jpg

fitted an R1 reg/rec onto a finned alloy plate I "acquired" in a previous job, should keep it cool and managed to fit the diversion coils in too with a little bit of jiggery pokery.

Awaiting new HT leads and will need to extend the reg/rec wires as the old style had a mini loom on them ;(

Looking good Drew, the motor looks sweet.

yes, it runs great (at the vendors)

awaiting some more wiring products and need to set my floats on the carbs,then it should run again!

Well I for one dont care what it looks like now,I know you will make it sweet in time.

I want to hear what you think of the extra 10 hp,so heres hoping you get the carbs and elcs sorted soon so you can report back.

Well I for one dont care what it looks like now,I know you will make it sweet in time.

I want to hear what you think of the extra 10 hp,so heres hoping you get the carbs and elcs sorted soon so you can report back.

:hyper::razz: