Brake Issue

SPARKPLUG69
This post is 4227 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently replaced my front brake pads with ceramic pads. Is there really a big difference in metal and ceramic pads? All went well unitl I went to test them out and noticed I have a significant delay in coming to a stop once the front brake is applied. Anyone have this issue and a resolution?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

what do you mean

[...] noticed I have a significant delay in coming to a stop once the front brake is applied.[...]

you mean braking takes longer, or there's a delay between applying the brake, and starting to decelerate?

Ceramic pads are a lot more fade resistant. The trade off is they are crap till they warm up.

Once you adjust your riding styly a little you will be fine.

They are not affected by heat as much in the extreem. This affects there friction at cooler temps.

Try dragging the brake a little ,just enough to heat the disk and then try your brakes.

Bit of a duffer for a dirt bike if you ask me. More for road rockets....

Remember brake pads take a few hundred miles to bed in properly and conform to the surface of your brake disc.

If you've only just replaced them and are trying to achive normal braking with new pads, forget it! You NEED to bed them in, or the even the world's best kit will be a bag of shite.

Ride around for a while and allow for the extra time you'll need to brake. Don't hoon around like a loony or anything.

Also, I'd advise against dragging or hard braking to try and bed the pads in quicker, as you'll start putting deep grooves into the disc and risk damaging it.

Moto GP bikes and other race Cages have Ceramic brakes (discs and pads) and your notice that they always do a warm up lap, 1) to get the tyres warm 2) to get the brakes warm so as that they can actually stop.

As Cynic has suggested, start off by riding with the brakes applied slightly to generate friction and get the temp up in them, they should start working then.................if not its best to put the standard ones back on as you aint no Casey Stoner! lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online