Newbie arrival!!

dale_jayy
This post is 4233 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey there.

Names Dale, from South Africa where the sun never goes down! :)

I have just purchased myself 1993 TZR 125 R 4JB yesterday. I LOVE IT!

It has been customized by the previous owner in the sense that it has no front fairings and looks quite aggressive. I will upload a pic or too soon.

On my ride home though i noticed a ticking/knocking noise coming from the motor and i am a little worried. Will be taking it for a service soon. Not sure what it could be.

Anyways i have joined this forum to chat and share info and tips on these bikes in hope that i learn more as i am quite enthusiastic about them. :)

Dale OUT!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Dale and welcome to the forum!

:welcome: Dale. There's a FAQ thread with info for adding pictures if you need help.

Welcome sale,,, 2strokes can be rattly when warm, but knocking isnt a good sign, is there vibration on ecceleration , ?

Hey. Thanks all for the welcome! :)

It seems to be when idling, it wasn't there when I test road the bike but after my ride home of 50km or so the sound developed. Perhaps I had ridden it too hard? Only revved it up to 10500rpm though... Seems to struggle to get past that mark. Also really strugling to brek 120kmph?? Is this normal?

I've also noticed that the power valve control seems to be stiff or something because the servo is turning but not really pulling the cable from one side and just creating sleck on the other cable. I tried to pull the cable with some pliers to see if it would budge but it seems to be sitting quite stiff? Any tips on resolving this? This caould be related to the noise and seemingly underpowered ride at the moment?

:)

That powervalve is everything. That really needs fixing first. Can cause all sorts of odd stuff.

As the bike warms " any wear becomes audible, your P.valve may need cleaning, but this will make it rev out , not quieten a worn engine, dont worry , 2 strokes will run on long after they rattle,

Hey. thanks for the advise.

I tried to open up/take out the power valve assembly for cleaning but i was unsuccessful. I i'm not too sure how it comes out? please help?

Also, there is oil leaking out of the the power valve pulley casing? What oil is this? and what is the cause and solution?

I just really want this bike to be running optimally:)

Thanks

Oil from the powervalve means the seals and bushes need replacing. It will make it stiff to opperate too stressing the pv motor. A potentially expensive issue which you can avoid.

Also oil coming from there means in its most basic form an exhaust leak which can kill a 2 stroke as surely as forgetting the oil.

The 4JB1 had a 4fl barrel and head, which is nicosil plated, so look after it, as replating can be costly, over here anyroad.

So i would be correct by replacing the power valve seal and bushes to stop the oil leaking out? are there any other seals i would need to potentially replace to stop the oil leak as i can see some oil is coming through the exhaust?? this cant be good but i still need to get another 150-200km out of it before the weekend when i can actually get to fixing it.

Take it steady with no WOT and it will do till the weekend. My exhaust has busted to but its got another 3 days of getting me to work so its got to wait.

The exhaust leak will be the gasket they are terrible for it. Easy enough to fix though.

It dribbles because some of thr fuel mix gets blown into the exhaust and then back into the motor. Its how a 2 stroke works. The drip is unburnt fuel and oil due to air being pulled in instead of the fuel mix.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online