1982 yamaha rs200 resto project

This post is 3267 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone, just aquired a 1982 rs 200 in a very sorry state. chrome is all pitted, ignition gone, wires hanging out all over the place. it seems to be the original colour scheme (metallic red) and is mostly there. seat is past it. where is the best place to source bits as any help would be gratefully appreciated, and is there a way of getting the petrol cap open without doing too much damage?, cheers and all the best, tony

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Tony

other than E-bay

http://yambits.co.uk/

http://www.wemoto.com/

and general internet searches

start a project thread members are keen to see pictures and add their inputs and ideas, some of the ideas even make sense too

Hi Tony

other than E-bay

http://yambits.co.uk/ Thanks fella will check them out now

http://www.wemoto.com/

and general internet searches

start a project thread members are keen to see pictures and add their inputs and ideas, some of the ideas even make sense too

From what I've seen in the past it's a difficult subject to restore! Never seen a parts book for one but we'll help where we can :welcome:

Some of the older yams had the key number stamped into the lock...check it out

I have just about finished my RS200 but its far from standard.... it had the apehanger bars and the usual drum brakes which are marginal on a 100 nevermind a 200...

mine had a knackered seat as well and also the chrome was just about shot...

here are a couple of pics of how it looked before and how it looks now...

The rear wheel has been moved back as ti was too far forward and the front end needs dropping abit but apart from paint its cosmetically just about ready... needs an engine problem sorting as it wont idle and bogs down at low revs but i did the work on this for not alot of money...

the seat was the most expensive bit as i already had the RD200 front end and wheels, caliper etc

IMG_0046.jpg

2012-03-09-021.jpg

D564E835-82FC-485B-841A-0C2F87DB4463-1248-0000009150359CE6.jpg

that looks great, would like to get a set of rd wheels for mine as they look great on yours, and them microns are like rocking horse crap, you must have had to go on a mission to get them, i am in geordieland too!, will post some pics soon

you need the complete front end off an RD as the yokes are different to the RS... also unless you modify the clock bracket it wont fit on the RD yokes... the rear wheel is alot easier as it goes straight in without any issues...

the Microns i found by chance on ebay and are in no way perfect but they sound awesome... they are off an RD200 also and had to be sleeved to fit the RS downpipes...

just discovered what the cause is off the running problem on mine.... the carb is shot so need another one off either an RS or RXS... the hunt begins lol

would need to change the barrels and heads.... would also need the reeds airbox and inlet rubbers so a fair bit of money thats if you can find them... i sent you a PM mate

will a ignition switch off a different bike fit my rs200, this is the single clock model with the ignition switch in the warning lamp cluster, cant seem to source one anywhere

i do have one with a key and a fuel cap off same key but the fuel cap is on my bike lol... the ignition is a spare one mind... would need another fuel cap to replace it with...

just noticed that the rear footpeg hangers have been cut off my swing arm, was this common practice?

not common practise really... swingarms are easy to find and an earlier model RD200 one will fit as that has the same footpeg hangers...

sound slike its bene messed about with although the only reason i ca think someone would cut them off is to prevent them takin a pillion.. easier to just remove the footpegs

Welcome tony" enlighten us,,,whats the difference between an RD200 + the Rs200... :eusa_think:

RS200 is the commuter version of the RD200... main differences are

RS has drum brakes back and front and a slightly detuned engine with a single carb and spoked wheels, the gearing is different, front forksand yokes are different

RD has disc front and drum rear, engine tuned abit more with twin carbs and mag wheels...and the tinware is different to the RS as well as the rear footpeg hangers, switchgear is slightly different as the RD has an engine cut out switch whereas the RS doesnt..

the rest is pretty much the same...i think the RD tinware will fit on the RS as the fixings appear to be in the same place

bit like how suzuki had the gt200 x5 which was the sport version and the sb200 which was the de tuned commuter version, lots in common with the yams of the time, they even did it with their 4 strokes in the xs250/400 and the special which was more of a cruiser/ commuter and the suzuki gs250e as apposed to the gs250t

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online