Yamaha DT125RE restoration derestriction catastrophe!

Consmos
This post is 3305 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

She lives! wooo turns out i hadn't tightened the cylinder head bolts enough haha. Now I can get to sorting the power jets :) cheers Nev I managed to get spray for the frame - and for anyone from Northern Ireland looking to spruce up a bike, Givran autoparts on the boucher road in Belfast are brilliant people - after months of unsuccessfully searching for paint I dropped into them and five min later had a can of exactly what I needed! Turns out the tank is a different colour though so back to Givran tomorrow :D seat is wrecked though so be aftet xmas before I can get a new one...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When you're ready to get your seat cover Consmos, try this chap over in Portugal, he does panels and other DT stuff too, very good prices

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

Cheers again Nev. Having a nightmare trying to get my hands on the right paint for the tank. Have the frame painted, and know the Yamaha ref code for the paint, but every paint shop I go to has no listing for it - even companies with chromatic scanners that automatically match the colour. Nowhere has it! Anyone know a generic paint code match?

With regards to jets. I'm almost certain that it should have been a 240 jet in there. It was a 240 from 1999 onwards so my guess is that someone has replaced the carb at some point and got one from a 1998 or previous bike.

Don't forget to keep checking those head bolts as the engine warms and cools and runs in.

I don't think Philippe in Portugal does seat covers for the RE. Let us know if he does though.

Glad it's all running!

• 5 months later...

Ouch! Lol. Seriously cooked. I highly doubt that not upjetting has caused this.

This could be a number of problems.

Either lack of or no oil Easily done if the bikes been sitting for a length of time that sludge has built up and stopped oil getting through.

Or blockage in the coolant and has stopped coolant reaching the cylinder. I don't think it's that.

The DTRE Carb is actually restricted to 210 main jet. Athena may not have taken this into account. You should have put the Carb back TO STANDARD JETTING when fitting an aftermarket pipe. Which is actually 240 main jet not 210. 210 is the restricted jet size.

It looks like insufficient cooling defo.

• 1 year later...

Well hasn't this been a reply long time coming :spin2:

Thanks for the help everybody, it was a success in the end! I bought a pile of tools, sanded, primed and painted a number of parts (e.g. see photo of previously rusted, newly sprayed radiator mount), made friends with mechanics across the water who helped me out with the jets and paint samples (cheers to Wemoto, allens mikuni, and Bike Colours of Lancaster!), and generally made a nuisance of myself by hammering at all hours of the night.

20121010_220900_zpsenccf8ki.jpg

20121106_023821_zpsg7bsbipc.jpg

20130103_215054_zpstnf41oio.jpg

In the end, she looked pretty good :jossun: ...

20130104_003508_zpsh1hyibrs.jpg

That includes help from the mystery guy at Hurst Yamaha Belfast who supplied me with the plastics and stickers for prices that made me wonder if I should have gone into the sticker business. She lives and rides on, many thanks to everyone on the forum for helping a complete newbie through a top end rebuild. And here she is on top of a mountain in County Donegal, with my latest ride... a nice little XT660R :jossun:

20131115_121036_zpsiby8mm3f.jpg

So apologies for the late update but I was a bit carried away with the new bike. My dad is currently sporting a nice little Suzuki DRZ 400 E, I'm, thinking of trading the DT125 in for a 2010 RM450Z now that I've gathered a bit more experience offroading at at Paddy Dakar and Dave Thorpe's joint in Wales.

podium_zpstlmygrno.jpg

So thanks again for the help, anyone interested in some light Enduro in Northern Ireland, drop a line!

Hey , well done man , fair play for not giving up . I blew up my first bike , also a DT, through fitting a K+N filter and pipe . I'd never heard of jets ! Ignorance isn't always bliss . Happy scrambling , she looks great with the mucky rear tyre .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online