Elements destroying my my bike

Grouch
This post is 4264 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I keep my bike outside under a cover. Even though it is getting covered it is still getting wet with damp and condensation. I plan on getting one of those metal sheds, providing my landlord allows it! But in in the mean time is there a spray or something I can apply to my bike to stop it from rusting?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So the GT85 is the better choice?

I use two quality covers for my bike and it still get's damp and wet. I'm going to get a metal shed and put a concrete base down. I plan on getting a second bike so I need a shed/garage. I'll be able to keep all my oil, sprays, jerry can, etc in there.

I used Q20 last winter and although expensive, I think it was the dogs dangly bits!

I know I've posted this before but just check out this sales video!!!....... although don't try it at home!

Wow Neo, that is mental. That must be some good shit to do that.

When I do buy some protection spray for my bike, how do I apply it, do I just blather the whole of my bike in it, and how often should I apply it?

I use ACF 50 , it runs off like water, be mean with it spray a little on and spread it with a brush. you wil only find it on the floor 10 minutes later otherwise, for tricky bits like around brakes etc spray a little into the lid and use a 3/4" brush to apply it

Keep way from the brakes with any of them. I do the same as Merv with the GT85, spray some on and then rub over with a rag. I spray the engine too and it smell great as it burns off.

As an aside, you will get condensation issues with a metal shed. condensed water will drip from the roof.

I used ACF50 last winter. Dont get it on the brakes, and remember that it has a tendency to "creep". The small sprayer that came with it was crap, better off with brushes and rag, apply sparingly. Road muck tends to stick to it but it does wash off

I would be concerned about getting condensation inside my cover...how come? are there no vents? no airgap underneath?

you should think about treating the cause...not the symptom

The cover does have air vents and a gap underneath to allow air to circulate, but this just isn't enough. When I take the cover off there is a layer of condensation and even patches of water on the bike.

What would you suggest I do?

I used ACF50 last winter. Dont get it on the brakes, and remember that it has a tendency to "creep". The small sprayer that came with it was crap, better off with brushes and rag, apply sparingly. Road muck tends to stick to it but it does wash off

Thanks, I am going to use a brush, I have already learnt my lesson when it comes to brakes and WD40 type products. I will be extra careful when applying to areas near the barking systems.

Thinking about it, it has done nothing but rain all summer in the city I live, and I mean heavy rain. I don't think the covers are designed for prolonged heavy downpours. It has rained nearly every single day. The only thing I could do is to buy a very thick cover, but I imagine for a quality one these will cost a lot of money, which I suppose will be worth it.