RT3 Project

flyday58
This post is 4298 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Gee flybe " gotta luv em banana exhaust models,, :rolleyes: Its a bit of a shed tho " few dollars to be thrown at this one,,,,,, has the wife seen it yet,,, :whip:

FLYday " i have one here , and its 8000 rpm red line ,,,, :eusa_think: ,,,, any advances ,,,

FLYday " i have one here , and its 8000 rpm red line ,,,, :eusa_think: ,,,, any advances ,,,

Hmm. Some I've seen come with 7500, some 6500, but I believe I saw one with 8000. Is yours original, do you know?

I sure could use a close-up pic of the handlebar set-up for the RT1-2-3 series. I suspect from the wiring diagrams there is a right switch block containing a stop switch but haven't been able to find it in the parts diagrams available. I found this part hidden on a DT360A diagram but not the '71 thru '73s.

Don't know if this helps, its from a write up from 1974 Cycle magazine.

The engine's ability to generate enough power to get the rear wheel churning away starts at 2500 rpm. The rate at which you accelerate is directly related to the amount of throttle applied. The DT360A's muscular engine takes most of the hassle out of dirt riding. It doesn't have to be wound up tight in order to pull the bike over a snag or out of quagmire. The block-pattern tires, tractionless terrain or tall street gearing are the only limits to the engine's pulling potential. Because of ease of riding gained with this extra low-speed power, it's certainly worth the additional investment to get the larger 360cc engine in place of a smaller displacement machine.

Attempting to spin the engine above 6000 rpm for more power is futile, but staying below this rev limit still gives the rider a 3500 rpm power range, and that's more than enough to overcome the broad gear spacing. Riding in the rough, for expert and novice alike, is made enjoyably easy by this wide power spread. Gear shifting doesn't have to become a preoccupation. When you want to accelerate, rolling open the throttle another notch generally brings the speed up. The engine doesn't have to be spun like a buzz saw and is seldom worked hard. It's entirely possible that this engine would last an entire enduro season without appreciably wearing engine internals, because of low crankshaft speeds and moderate work loads placed on them.

It quotes peak power at 6k and peak torque at 6.5.

The full write up is here. http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_dt360%2074.htm

• 2 weeks later...

More...

IMG_7673.jpg

Note the jury-rigged kill switch and all the missing electrics. Plastic IV tube? Nope, the kid's petrol line. Kinda long...

IMG_7675.jpg

Rod is more or less seized. Whoever assembled the crank only installed ONE shim, the one you can see here. Rod was binding against the crank cheek. Wow.

IMG_7679.jpg

Clutch was fine. Till I busted it trying to keep it from turning, that is.

IMG_8013.jpg

Cases split, casulaties: one case screw(the LAST one, o.c.!) Not bad.

May 1

Assemble...

IMG_8018.jpg

"New" crank installed. Heated case/bearing on my outdoor grill, it dropped right in.

IMG_8014.jpg

Gear set and shift forks installed.

IMG_8017.jpg

IMG_8016.jpg

Ready for case assembly.

May 2

IMG_8019.jpg

IMG_8024.jpg

IMG_8027.jpg

"New" clutch basket

IMG_8053.jpg

Had to buy another set of clutch discs. Didn't notice that the original set, nor the ebay purchase to replace it, did not have the rubber spacer rings. The rubbers? Yeah, those. Just happened to catch it when my manual came in. Lucky!

May 4

IMG_8028.jpg

Getting close.

IMG_8055.jpg

Ready for the side cover.

IMG_8054.jpg

Cylinder, piston, and head installed.

IMG_8056.jpg

Ready to go.

Is it heavy, Richard? Yeh bugger! Pulled me right over...

edited out part where camera fell over and was filming the stool.

Click to watch the vid.

th_MVI_8068a.jpg

Looking good!!!!

I Want one now, the only thing tho................that vid didn't work :(

Nice turnaround! Now that I've got a better feel for working on these bikes myself, I'm keeping an eye out for a second DT for a MX/ offroad/parts /rat bike. Looks like yours is going to be pretty sweet though.

It's funny, I work in digital media and most of my friends and colleagues who work with precision cameras, recorders, computers, jets, etc. are addicted to some sort of analog rattle trap machine in their free time.

Thanks for the video...killer :thumb::lol: :lol:

Yeah, not too manly to show myself being wrangled by my bike, right? I was gonna edit that part out but I laugh so hard every time I watch it!

It's funny, I work in digital media and most of my friends and colleagues who work with precision cameras, recorders, computers, jets, etc. are addicted to some sort of analog rattle trap machine in their free time.

I worked on 60s-vintage C-130s for 22 years, that's about as analog as it comes!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online