Please recommend an open-face or flip up visor helmet...

ddlooping
This post is 4415 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only concern is that a few peeps ultimately had to get a size smaller than what they normally use.

The medium Caber Rhyno I tried was a perfect fit so I ordered a medium.

It'd be a bummer if it didn't fit as it's the only one in matte black.

i wear a helmet liner ,only to protect the inner helmet lining from getting grubby,

it also makes for a nice snug fit too.

Good to hear. Let me know what you think of the Shark Evoline 2 as it may well be my next helmet :)

I too have the Shark Evo 2 (have done for about a year and a half I reckon). It is very useful when riding in Europe through hot summer days. It also has the tinted visor bit that slides down, and I have mine wired for autocom etc.

I haven't noticed any sore neck even when riding 300 miles a day (on tour, not in general day to day use). It is easy to flip the front forwards and back, even on the move, just remember that you need to flip the visor up or the chin guard will get stuck half way round (alternatively don't flip the helmet whilst on the move).

As mentioned earlier, it is handy for going into the petrol station and not having to remove your helmet etc.

I think you will be more than happy with your choice.

Ride Safe.

Thanks for the feedback, Andy. :)

I've just received the Evoline.

I'm glad I got the medium as it is already quite a tight fit, it gives me guinea pig cheeks. :D

I can get the glasses in but it's not very straight-forward.

Hopefully I'll get easier after a break-in period.

I think it's a keeper. ;)

Having faceplanted the tarmac in a low speed spill (25 - 30mph) many moons ago, and seen the dent it put into the chin piece of my full face lid, I would not entertain or recommend anything other than a full face helmet. Were it not for that strip of plastic I would have had no teeth and a severely mangled jaw.

Just my opinion talking from painful, but not as bad as it could have been, experience.

Edit. That'll show me for commenting before Ive read to the end of the thread wont it? Hope the new lid never gets put to the test.

I have three helmets. A half helmet skid lid that I wear on hot days riding by myself on the back road around our place at relatively slow speeds. If I ever dropped the bike at any amount of speed I'd be toast. There is very little traffic on this road and very little chance of dropping the bike. I wear the helmet because we are required to wear a helmet by law.

Both my wife and I use Scala Rider 4 intercoms with our helmets. The intercom works fine with her open face helmet, but it is a tight fit in my full face helmet because of the mike boom. I use the full face helmet most of the time when I am riding at speed and on the highways. Every now and then I use the flip front helmet on real hot days while riding on the highway. It has more room between the front of the helmet and my chin so the mike boom fits better, but it is noisier than the full face.

I like the idea of the flip front helmet but worry that it may not stay closed on impact. Mechanical closures can be finicky and there is always the chance that it could open on impact due to flexing of the helmet shell. I would never buy a helmet or any protective gear to look cool....I'm too old for that now. My suggestion is to buy the best full face helmet that you can afford if you are going to be primarily riding on highways or in traffic.

Ride safe!

Rocky