Please recommend an open-face or flip up visor helmet...

ddlooping
This post is 4408 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all :)

I'm new to biking and need to buy all the gear.

First on the list is a helmet. :ph34r:

I'm leaning towards an open-face one as it seems to be the best compromise in terms of protection and look for my XVS125.

Unless you know of a full-face that wouldn't look out of place while riding this bike I'd appreciate if you could recommend one with good side protection, that looks cool and doesn't break the bank.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both full face and open face helmets which I wear depending on how cold it is. But as we're nearly in spring you can start with an open face one. Have a look here:

http://www.ghostbikes.com/categorylist/Helmets-Open-Face-Helmets/

I don't see the point of an o/f helmet being too expensive (say above £50)

Ride safe.

NITRO X550-JV, between £50 to £70, the clear main visor fits close to the helmet so less wind noise, good ventilation, integral tinted flip down visor.

Mine just stopped me having a head injury when someone knocked me off the Dragstar 3 weeks ago, hit the deck back of the head first.

Good entry level lid

how much do you value your head?

not very much? then buy an open face helmet.

very much? then protect it with the best you can afford? i.e. a full faced helmet.

Not long gone from a Duchinni to a caberg V2rr. The Caberg is nice, not as noisey as the Duch, the flip down visor is handy too. Good sharp rating and not fogged up in me much. look at your budget as there's loads of choice.

Apparently the Caberg Konda is noisy , i have recently got one of the last Caberg Trips from northern Ireland , also have had some J1,s but they are NLA now

folk say it's just me being paranoid? but them flip ups look like they would fall apart on impact..

Hi

I too am interested in a flip front helmet, But I believe that not all flip front helmets are legal if you ride with the front flipped up, I think MCN had a feature on the topic many moons ago, I recall the feds use flip front helmets but their brand/model of helmet was tested as an open face helmet so they deemed it ok to ride with the front up. things may of changed since then so I might be wrong.

This is always a problem when someone asks for a recommendation, you'll get differing opinions

Best thing is to visit sellers and try on a number of different types, try doing lifesavers both ways with them on, its my view that open face lets you have more vision, but its a personal thing. Make sure that whatever you pick has conforms to the EU standard, it should have a sticker/label on it saying so, but I cant remember the code

I had a Givi 10.4 for a time. Very light, half helmet. Great fun and road legal but I don't know how much protection it would have given.

I also still own an AGV Longway. This is a flip lid. I think it is great, especially for the summer. I use the flip closed through the lanes and then open around a ring road. It can be a little wind resistant however, when in the flip open position, make sure that the visor is closed. It is a snug fit on the front of the face but fine when you get used to it. You need to flip the front to put it on or off. It has a button on the inside of the chin guard that is easy to use with gloves on so no stopping to use the flip part. Great when filling up with petrol, just flip the front and there is no need to take the helmet off when paying. I think it is ACU gold standard as well - I think!

This very morning, I was pootling along at 35-ish MPH. Full-face lid, but with visor still fully open as I hadn't reached the A-Roads yet and was behind a slowish car. Got a stone chip fly up and smack me square in the cheek. I now have a bloody scab. Imagine if that was an eye...

I ride a 650cc Cruiser and I still wear a full-face. You can get flip lids too, don't forget.

But remember, no matter what lid you wear, you ain't gonna look very cool cruising around with half your jaw missing from an off!

For the record, I still wear the Caberg 104 V2 - Costs about £100 and has excellent Sharp rating.