Wet Weather Gear

Smitty
This post is 6971 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Got a pair of Sidi Black Rain Evo boots. Never leak a drop, despite the fact that I live in a place with a 364 days a year rainy season.

Oh aye, stick one of those wee water absorbing wipes you get somewhere on the bike for wiping yer visor.

Myself.....I've been using a Frank Thomas 1-Piece RainSuit that I bought for only $40, during a summer sale @ a shop I used to work for........the suit is regularly a $100 suit........so the missus was happy! :rolleyes::P

For the amount of use that I've got out of it, $100 would still have been a fair price. ;)

I can buy a car or a bike, and i'll let u guess which i'm gettin so kinda out of the question.

You haven't got a bike yet then Smitty.

I tell you what, you can save yourself a lot of time on researching info by just doing a search for all posts by JohnR6.

There's nothing on the face of this planet that he didn't ask. :lol:

I'm after something with protection and keeps me dry, so i'm thinking leathers, and seeing if they do the job, if not i'll have to find something to go over it and pants. Single or seperate pieces. Whatever it is has to fit into a back pack.

Frank Thomas 1-Piece RainSuit
Will it fit into half a backpack? I'm guessing it's just a throw over and has no protection.

Sidi Black Rain Evo boots
These alright to ride in everyday? rain hail or shine?

You haven't got a bike yet then Smitty....There's nothing on the face of this planet that he didn't ask
I am new to riding, and none on my friends or family have bikes, so i'm learning what i need solo. sorry if it's bugging everyone.

I did a search on that guy, some questions i'd like to know answerd in here. He had 2 pages of replies, but these are the ones he started

Problem with my Landlord......Has anyone had experience?

URGENT, please help!

NEC Motorbike Show 2004

Why Do People Mod their Bikes?

Another Rossi Win!

Which is safer?

Bike Parking?

What do you guys do for a living?

Bike 1 - Car 0

Where do you keep your bike at night?

My Motorcycle Theory Test

1 piece or 2 piece suit? 

Any tips on looking for a 2nd hand bike?

Why most people don't like bikes?

Why wear all your gear!

Seat Height?

Full Throttle?

What bike gear? Please Help!

Right...here's the answer...you need different types of kit.

Here's the minimum:

2 piece leathers.

2 piece waterproof cordura.

1 piece rainsuit.

1 pair Winter boots.

1 pair Summer boots.

1 pair Winter gloves.

1 pair Summer gloves.

Balaclava/Facemask.

Quality helmet....ideally Arai or Shoei

Apart from helmet don't worry about brands....they'll all do the same job and some brands are overpriced for what they are.

And here's a tip....apart from a helmet you can minimise your outlay be buying good condition, second hand kit.

There's loads of it about....usually expensive stuff bought by enthusiastic wannabes who found they couldn't hack it on a bike.

Why do u need 2 piece waterproof and a rainsuit? Dont they do the same job?

I've been looking at everyones helmets when they have been walking around, Shoei seems to be the brand everyone has.

Thanks heaps for the help pete.

• Admin

Well dont get the oxstar boots thats what i have, they are excellent when its not wet! :P

Why do u need 2 piece waterproof and a rainsuit?  Dont they do the same job?

I've been looking at everyones helmets when they have been walking around, Shoei seems to be the brand everyone has.

Thanks heaps for the help pete.

2 piece waterproof for Winter, and a one piece thin oversuit to use on top of your leathers/jeans if needed in the Summer.

Something you can rollup and pack under the seat is best....cos leather isn't waterproof, so you can get caught out.

And with the 2 piece cordura make sure you get one with a removable liner cos then it will double up as a Summer Jacket.

Leather is the biz....but it's no use in the wet and a nightmare in hot weather.

Right...here's the answer...you need different types of kit.

Here's the minimum:

2 piece leathers.

2 piece waterproof cordura.

1 piece rainsuit.

1 pair Winter boots.

1 pair Summer boots.

1 pair Winter gloves.

1 pair Summer gloves.

Balaclava/Facemask.

Quality helmet....ideally Arai or Shoei

Apart from helmet don't worry about brands....they'll all do the same job and some brands are overpriced for what they are.

And here's a tip....apart from a helmet you can minimise your outlay be buying good condition, second hand kit.

There's loads of it about....usually expensive stuff bought by enthusiastic wannabes who found they couldn't hack it on a bike.

Well looking at that little lot I'm a bit short on kit. I would have have said either or as regards leathers or the cordura. One piece rainsuit with the leathers certainly but not with the cordura. Why 2 pair of gloves and boots? Regardless of cost, do you have to carry a second pair of gloves and boots just in case it rains?

A very good reasonably priced helmet is the Takachi TK100. ACU Gold etc. These are used more and more by Club Racers. I see a lot of helmets (ooh missus) as a scrutineer and I was so impressed with the TK100 that I bought one myself. Got one for £60.

I would have have said either or as regards leathers or the cordura. One piece rainsuit with the leathers certainly but not with the cordura. Why 2 pair of gloves and boots? Regardless of cost, do you have to carry a second pair of gloves and boots just in case it rains?

A very good reasonably priced helmet is the Takachi TK100. ACU Gold etc. These are used more and more by Club Racers. I see a lot of helmets (ooh missus) as a scrutineer and I was so impressed with the TK100 that I bought one myself. Got one for £60.

Leather isn't waterproof and is a nightmare in Summer.

And if you wear Winter gloves and boots in the Summer you're going to sweat your bollocks off.

Similarly, wear Summer gloves and boots in the Winter and you'll freeze.

They're for different times of the year Alan....you don't carry them round with you.

Ask yourself.....do you wear the same clothes in Summer as you do in Winter? Obviously not.

And the same applies here....there's Summer riding gear and Winter riding gear...and you should have both.

Leather is the biz....but it's no use in the wet and a nightmare in hot weather.

Personally I'd settle for the leathers and sweaty knackers in the summer ;):blink:

Personally I'd settle for the leathers and sweaty knackers in the summer ;)  :blink:

Then you're wearing what you think you should be seen in, rather than the most effective product.

Modern corduras are lighter, cooler, more weather resistant, and safer than leather.

I wear a leather jacket most of the time, unless it's hot or extremely cold. And I feel "right" in leathers. But there's times that they're not pleasant I'm afraid.

Modern corduras are lighter, cooler, more weather resistant, and safer than leather.

Lighter Yes

Cooler Yes

More Weather Resistant Yes

Safer Sorry have to disagree with on that one.