So Slippy

madandy
This post is 6648 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys back again , I dont know about you guys but everywhere i go at the minute when its wet my rear end feels as though it is on the move ,i go round a corner and i can feel the rear end sliding out and its scary.I first noticed it one morning on the way to work picture it 0530 knocking down the local dual carriageway hit the brakes and turn as per usual but just as i get into the bend the arse starts twitching. i thought nothing of it and put it down to me going in to fast but then it happened on every corner now i think about it, and now every bend it feels like its going.

But .....as soon as the wet stuff goes away its back to its usual sticky self its a newish tyre with plenty of tread i tried playing with suspension settings front and rear but cant seem to work out why

I just wanted to know if anyone else is suffering or if its me and my machine goin wrong please help before i end up coming out of the corner on my arse

Ta in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

oh yes the tyres the first place i started but alas no joy there!!!!!

its as if someone has dropped a fine layer of diesel on every road i go on and its slowing me down and will eventually put me down

Check to see if your oil level is too high.........it'll then overflow out of the airbox & onto the rear wheel! :blink: .......Learned this one the Hard Way. ;)

This is common topic at the moment for UK bikers, This year the roads do seem alot more slippery than usual and I first noticed it a number of weeks ago on my way to work I'd filter through the traffic and get to the front of the queue and then when the lights changed I'd pull away and then the back wheel would spin up, this nappened on a number of occasions and I couldn't understand why as I wasn't dropping the clutch. I've also noticed that when it's been wet this winter as soon as I wipe the spray off my visor I can't see a think everything is out of focus and it was like a thin layer of oil on my visor that I couldn't get off. I spoke to a few people and they had been suffering similiar things and my mates have been saying the crap thats on the windscreen (car) just won't shift. Then a couple of weeks ago I was reading MCN which had a full 2 page article about it, apparently they've been testing a new road salt this year that contains extracts from sugar beet, it turns out that it's leaving an oily residue on the road that even when the roads look dry this thin layer is still there. The Government Agency responsible say's it isn;t being used on Motorways and major A roads, bet it is on some though !!

Sorry this was a bit long.

Thats crazy!!

If its true, they are indangering our lives by using that stuff on the roads!

I thought i was just me being nervous about going around corners after falling off the other day, but it does actually feel like to some roads have oil all over them!

i'm not happy :angry::angry::angry:

If your doing 50mph+ round a corner on a dual carriage way and the bike slips out...........not nice!!

• 1 year later...

This year the roads are worse ... I've had the front slip on me quite a few times during stright line breaking. There's been further articles about it in MCN and one of the product (Road Salt) that is questionable is called SAFECOTE.

More and more people are commenting about the stuff, and even the Emergency Services have indicated an increase in accidents (Not just bike related) where roads have been treated with SAFECOTE.

There really ought to be an immediate ban on this stuff !

That would explain my lock ups. :angry: I thought being a little inexperienced and on a powerful bike it was the problem, but I'am a very quick learner when it come to this sort of thing. I've lost count of the amount of times my rear wheel has been out of check this winter.

Safe riding to everyone.

Robbie

Here is a website with a short article about this new grit if anyone is interested.

http://www.thedeicingbusiness.com/news_articles.asp

Regards

Robbie

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online