Tips for a new full license rider

Neo-ned
This post is 4621 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I've not been a member of the biking world that often so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I have been riding a Yamaha R-125 for around six months and passed my full direct access test Friday just gone. Having riden a 125 at 16 and a half stone i don't really get very far very quickly.

In a spur of the moment i've put my bike up for sale and have had an offer from a dealer to part ex for a 2003 R6. It comes next Wednesday and was wondering if there are some tips you guys could give me as it is going to be an extreme jump from a 125 to an R6.

I did my test on a 500cc but i know that will be nothing compaired to the power i will have at my discposal and any feedback and/or things i should watch out for in the beggining would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ed

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Ed, And welcome to the world of the big bike, not sure how much you really know about staying safe but keep your eyes on stalks and watch out for everything, the R6 is a really nice bike but it will bite you in the arse if you forget that it can spit you off even in a straight line if you are careless. Just take your time and learn SLOWLY what it can do don't try to race from the get go and you should be ok, go out with a mate and follow him/her until you start to feel a bit more confident, most bikers who crash are unwilling to listen to the phrase "go slow". Advanced rider courses are out there if you need them and for a few quid it might save your life, other than that enjoy your new toy and remember that the blue bit is up and the black bit is down. :jossun:

Thanks for that. I'm not generally a careless rider and am almost a bit scared of the resposibility i will have with such a power change. I am thoroughly looking forward to it and will take your advise on board :spin2:

:welcome:

MRR has called it in terms of 'Softly, softly' to start with, I'll only add "watch out for the tyres" - the tyres generally used on sportsbikes only start working properly when they've got some heat in 'em (same as all bikes really, but sportsbikes are more sensitive) - many's the time a Power Ranger has been spat off coming out of a car park with cold rubber like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxbHyEIkgdU

As for further training:

See your local Plod about Bikesafe - cheapest bit of further training going.

See your bike trainer about the Enhanced Rider Scheme.

Relax, enjoy your new ride and stay safe.

:thumb:

I will most certainly be learning a few things from that video. I just can't wait to get aquainted with my bike and finally be on the other side of the fence. I hated every minute wearing 'L' plates on my 125 and used to look up in awe when someone would pull up next to me at the lights and take off leaving me in smoke. I think the jealousy is what got me through all my tests passing first time.

It's strange how i never used to be that interested in bikes until i did my CBT and then it just seems to grow inside

:hyper:

Take everything nice and slowly.

Ride easy and just enjoy it. No need to even break the speed limit.

Take time to go out on as many different types of roads as you can. Get thoroughly used to the bike and learn how it handles. We're about to hit rainy weather, so that should help teach you to keep everything calm and gentle.

Above all, remember your training.

Once you've been riding for a few months and have a good grasp on the bike (perhaps around Spring next year), then you can look at advanced training. No point doing fancy stuff until you understand what the bike is doing under normal riding.

Once biking is in your blood, that is it!

Progressive and steady, not slow. Experience counts and watch out for the time when you think you have mastered it and it throws you or scares you cold. Normally a couple of months into owning it.

Ride without jerking or grabbing anything and you will be fine.

Suppose the biggest thing in your favour is the fact you have been riding a sportsbike already. The 125R will handle like the R6, as in steering inputs and such, seating position etc and will probably make the R6 feel like a tank for the first few miles with all the extra metal on board.

It would have been a much bigger change going from a YB100.

Hmmmm, tips...........

well, to be accepted as a full member of the Power Rangers you will of course require the correct uniform, skin tight (especially the bit around the gut and moobs, and excepting the bit around the arse) Leathers available in many lurid colours from good motorcyclists outfitters.

You'll need to master the art of the wheelie, being able to keep the front wheel around head height for the length of the A1 ought to suffice, Oh and practice bending your girlfriends knees up past her ears (a lot of fun this bit!!!!) and sharpen her arse to a point as this will enable her to get her feet on the pegs whilst her bum is on the snatch pad.

My final and probably most useful bit of advice is to learn to spell LICENCE..........magistrates will look upon your excessive speeding case more favorably if they think you're fairly intelligent.

Enjoy your new machine and stay safe

. :spin2:

Hmmmm, tips...........

well, to be accepted as a full member of the Power Rangers you will of course require the correct uniform, skin tight (especially the bit around the gut and moobs, and excepting the bit around the arse) Leathers available in many lurid colours from good motorcyclists outfitters...........................

:lol:

Love it, License Doh! LLisense Doh! Dont got one officer! :babyha:

Oh.... you mean that there plastic deelie that there got dat picture of der motorbicycle on der back.

Cheer's for all the info guys.! :eusa_think:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online