RS 100 First time project

gazward
This post is 4413 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok Guys

I'm Gareth and I have gotten myself a toy to tinker with.

I posted in the workshop section to try and solve a wiring issue but with no success , so I am taking it to the bones and hopefully tidying it up.(and finding the issue with the wiring as I go.)

So I am starting a project on here and if anyone thinks they can give my some advice then it will be well recieved.

Cheers Gareth

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there !

So your gonna have the bike lookin like new when its done ;)

Keep your post going and add a few pics of the work in progress.

Im sure people will help ya out with probs if and when ya come accross them.

Good luck with the restore

Hello there !

So your gonna have the bike lookin like new when its done ;)

Keep your post going and add a few pics of the work in progress.

Im sure people will help ya out with probs if and when ya come accross them.

Good luck with the restore

Cheers

Will do I am just trying to figure out how to load pictures into my post.

Got about three days worth to come in :)

Maybe not quite as new but better than it is/was

Cheers

Will do I am just trying to figure out how to load pictures into my post.

Got about three days worth to come in :)

Maybe not quite as new but better than it is/was

Pictures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you need to open a "Photobucket" account. Load the pics in there and then go to the IMG line of the pic, press this and it says coppied,,,,then go back to your post on here and right click and paste. Pics will then appear on here.

Give it a few goes and youll get eventually.

Sample

_MG_7393.jpg

If this has worked then you should see pictures LOL

As you can see she is not a minter but she only stands me a £100 which I think is cheap as chips

So the Story so far

I brought the bike as a none runner about three weeks ago.

Did some engine work (Thanks to Haynes) and fiddled with timing and now she is good for 60mph.

I also replaced all the bulbs and inline fuse had good electrics for about 10 minutes before everything went bang and all sort of weird and wonderful happenings began.

Posted for help on workshop but to no avail, as I wanted to get everything working before I stripped her.

So now here is my project and hopefully by stripping and tiding I will find the answer to my wiring woes.

Now ya have it sir.;)

Thats looks in good enough shape. Bit of TLC and she will be good ta go ! I was expecting much worse.

WOOHOO :icon_exclaim:

Cheers 2Wheels,

Right as you can see my rear mudguard has nearly snapped in 2

I have braced it with a steel strip and it is now solid, but I need to find a new one if anyone can help. It is the full mudguard and not one of the half and half ones.

I also forgot to mention that I fixed the speedo so the mileage is probably not genuine.

Just for the record,

Cost so far

Bike £100

Haynes Manual £4 including postage from Ebay

All bulbs, Flasher unit, Battery, and Rectifier from a local bike garage £30

Spark plug £3

So for just under £140 I've got a running bike but need electrics still sorting. (All Bulbs now blown) :(

Ebay is best for parts unless ya know a good few brakers yards that are cheap.

Electrics is not my strong part but im sure youll get the help ya need.

All bulbs blown sugessets that someone has been messing with them before you and made a pig of it. It will prob become clear where the mess has taken place as you go through the wiring bit by bit.

So started to strip her today again confidence to do this from Haynes

Is this much rust in Petrol tank healthy?

P1010964.jpg

P1010965.jpg

What should I do? It has been running fine and there are no leaks from the tank.

Also first calamity of the day, to show how the bike looked I just stuck headlamp back on, I forgot and moved bike and crash, broken lens. Doh! another part to add to my list lol

Progress picture

P1010966.jpg

And another of rear mudguard

P1010967.jpg

I know this is all looking like I am wizzing through this but I have only just found time to start putting it together on here.

Cost so far:

£137 from previous

£10 Black hammerite for frame and pieces Wilko

£7 Chrome paint enamal

£10 Engine paint enamal from yambits

£2 inline fuse holder from yambits

£2 wet dry paper Wilko

free clear laquer from kind neighbour.

Total so far £168

The source of all evil and the cause I presume of all my electrical woes

DSC00014.jpg

Wire was trapping between steering lock pegs and frame

Progress being made

DSC00017.jpg

Now thats what it looks like with no engine inside it :)

Also another picture of rear mudguard just incase anyone has one lying around :)

DSC00015.jpg

Frame ready to have rubdown with wet/dry paper before it gets a coating of hammerite.

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

From full bike to frame in a day.

Finished rub down and have given frame a few coats of hammerite

Also done chain guard, rear brake lever and rear springs in chrome paint. ( This is to tidy them up untill I can afford new replacements)

Pictures will follow tomorrow

I am all caught up with this post now

Total cost so far:

£168 and about 2 days worth of work

Question, does anyone know if you can get replacement stickers/plating for the engine?

Would like to replace the black and silver logo on side of engine but can't seem to find any replacement anywhere.

Would I be better painting strip black and applying a silver sticker over it?

Also I need new rubbers for the foot pegs as other ones are worn through.

Cheers Gareth

Cheers oldgitonabike,

I am not sure if it is the right one or not, mine certainly hasn't got that dint where the wires go in. Will keep an eye on it for now and probably take a risk if nothing else comes up.

Could I also badger you for advice on the petrol tank shown earlier on in post?

And thank you for all your help during my wiring days LOL, I have now found the problem if you look through the post. Is this a common issue?

Gareth

Cheers oldgitonabike,

I am not sure if it is the right one or not, mine certainly hasn't got that dint where the wires go in. Will keep an eye on it for now and probably take a risk if nothing else comes up.

Could I also badger you for advice on the petrol tank shown earlier on in post?

And thank you for all your help during my wiring days LOL, I have now found the problem if you look through the post. Is this a common issue?

Gareth

Yeah i've seen it Gareth and seen it before on bikes, most likely a badly routed loom. I have no experience of dealing with rusty tanks so wouldnt be able to advise you on that one...its a common problem though. As far as I can tell you remove the rust with some kind of acidic solution and then neutralise it . If it leaks you have to coat it. Mervin and Cynic have experience of this.

I dont know what dent for wires you are referring to but it looks in great shape so its worh asking the seller about the condition...have you a parts manual?

No I haven't got a parts manual.

Third pic down in listing looks to me as if there is a dent where the wires come out. Might be my eyes I am getting tired LOL

Not sure if it is there as design or as a dint from misuse

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online