Hello everyone.

This post is 4666 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

My name is Dave. I'm 33 and currently feel like i'm 17 because i'm about to realise a dream i've had since then. I'm about to start my Direct Access and get my full bike licence, and in preparation for this i bought an 92' XJ600 Diversion last weekend! maybe premature but to me its motivation because while its sat staring at me, it makes me want to ride it!

Before posting this i have had good look around the forums and i'm glad ive joined. once ive figured out how to work everything i'll put up some pictures of my bike for those that are interested.

I'd also like to apologize in advance if am inadvertently rude or dont observe the correct ettiquette, i'm as new to this as i am to motorcycling!

Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone,

My name is Dave. I'm 33 and currently feel like i'm 17 because i'm about to realise a dream i've had since then. I'm about to start my Direct Access and get my full bike licence, and in preparation for this i bought an 92' XJ600 Diversion last weekend! maybe premature but to me its motivation because while its sat staring at me, it makes me want to ride it!

Before posting this i have had good look around the forums and i'm glad ive joined. once ive figured out how to work everything i'll put up some pictures of my bike for those that are interested.

I'd also like to apologize in advance if am inadvertently rude or dont observe the correct ettiquette, i'm as new to this as i am to motorcycling!

Dave

Hi Dave, welcome to the mid life crisis club forum mate, and good luck with your Direct Access ;)

Thanks for the welcome's everyone. Does anyone have any tips on how i can become a member of this community? being new to both this site and motorcycling im kind of blundering about in ignorance hoping i'm doing the things right. Having read recent posts about bargers and noobs posting one liner questions i'm keen to make the right impression as i have the intention of becoming part of this community and not just picking out the information i need and buggering off.

Welcome to the forum Dave,

You've made a good start saying hello. Just join in when you can, have a laugh and if you have any queries/problems use search / post and we'll try to help.

Don't worry about the noobs posts etc - mainly aimed at those who begin "Hi. My bike's broke. Tell me how to fix it". You're already ahead in that aspect.

Looking forward to see the pics of your bike.

Good luck with DA.

Graham

Hi Dave

i'm a dave too lol

and doing the same as yourself except i aint got a big bike yet (would be too tempting IMO as it was tempting enough having the wee bike)but got myself a wee 125 just to gain more experience on the road

passed my cbt on sunday there and starting my big bike lessons this sunday

Dave.

CBT done! Really nerve racking because i just wanted to get it all right. I really need to get my head around the gears though!

Theory test booked and i've have a transition lesson next saturday.

Hi Dave,

thanks for the reply. To be honest my initial plan was to get a 125 and my CBT and ride that for 6 month to year then start the move up to a big bike. However, after several discussions in bike shops and with the father in law who's been riding bikes since moses was a lad i now have a big bike and soon to have my license. Basically they all told me to do DA because i'm a big chap (a fat 6'3") and a 125 just wouldn't be enough for me. Also i was gonna spend about 1500 quid on a bike but i was told a decent secondhand 125 that i would fit on (DT etc) that hadn't been thrashed to death is like rocking horse manure! and for the money i was willing to spend just on a bike i could get a decent big bike, all my gear and full license.

Having the bike sat there is VERY tempting but thats the point for me. I want to ride it so i'm doing my best to make it so i can!

i'm interested to know how your getting on so please let me know! i'm going to post my progress for anyone who's interested

CBT done! Really nerve racking because i just wanted to get it all right. I really need to get my head around the gears though!

Theory test booked and i've have a transition lesson next saturday.

Hi Dave,

thanks for the reply. To be honest my initial plan was to get a 125 and my CBT and ride that for 6 month to year then start the move up to a big bike. However, after several discussions in bike shops and with the father in law who's been riding bikes since moses was a lad i now have a big bike and soon to have my license. Basically they all told me to do DA because i'm a big chap (a fat 6'3") and a 125 just wouldn't be enough for me. Also i was gonna spend about 1500 quid on a bike but i was told a decent secondhand 125 that i would fit on (DT etc) that hadn't been thrashed to death is like rocking horse manure! and for the money i was willing to spend just on a bike i could get a decent big bike, all my gear and full license.

Having the bike sat there is VERY tempting but thats the point for me. I want to ride it so i'm doing my best to make it so i can!

i'm interested to know how your getting on so please let me know! i'm going to post my progress for anyone who's interested

hello again Dave heh

i am doin ok with the wee bike cheers but in all honesty i cant wait to move up to something bigger as the wee bike handles fine around town

but on an open road its just too slow im averaging 45mph on a 60 road so its a bit of a bummer but ive managed to get around a few places

and im really enjoying it and wished i had the money to do it years ago and i too have struggled a bit with gearing and things but im thinking its a point of how the bike wants to go and maybe i shouldnt be fighting it if that makes sense.

ive got my first big bike lesson tomorrow and plan to do one a week and take it from there and just try an save for a bigger bike, in the meantime al use the wee bike for comuting back and forth to work.

Dave.

hello again Dave heh

i am doin ok with the wee bike cheers but in all honesty i cant wait to move up to something bigger as the wee bike handles fine around town

but on an open road its just too slow im averaging 45mph on a 60 road so its a bit of a bummer but ive managed to get around a few places

and im really enjoying it and wished i had the money to do it years ago and i too have struggled a bit with gearing and things but im thinking its a point of how the bike wants to go and maybe i shouldnt be fighting it if that makes sense.

ive got my first big bike lesson tomorrow and plan to do one a week and take it from there and just try an save for a bigger bike, in the meantime al use the wee bike for comuting back and forth to work.

Dave.

Hi dave,

Your right about the gearing. in my haste (panic) i was being a bit too harsh with my changes i think. Also the father in law has told me i was probably changing to fast and not allowing the synchro to catch up.

How was your lesson at the weekend? i've booked a transition lesson on for saturday which is an hour on a 125 then the last hour on a 500. i'm really looking forward to getting on the big bike!

Horse (its what my friends call me)

Welcome boys " best thing you"ve done, getting into bikes, I know what you mean by slow in traffic, I think its unsafe, [ 125s] It should be 250cc for learners, to keep with the flow, ;)

Any way , best start a new thread, and not take up this newbee section, ,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online