Considering a SR125

Zippokovich
This post is 4671 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hay guys, this is my first post here and I know almost nothing about bikes so please excuse my ignorance.

I'm 21 and drive a Peugeot 406 which I love for its space and comfort (I personally like how it looks too) but its not exactly nippy and I often wish it gave a little bit more when I want to drive it quickly. I wish I could afford a bigger car but they are expensive to buy and insure so that is out of the question right now.

Recently a friend suggested a bike could add a little spice back to my motoring, he assured me even a 125 would be faster (accelerating) and more fun than my car. I had always dismissed bikes because of the perceived danger but the idea of getting a CR125 intrigues me.

The bike, CBT, gear and insurance are a pretty big outlay for me (probably somewhere just over a 1000 depending on the cost of the bike) but I wondered if the full consumption of the SR cold help soften that blow.

So I have some questions about the bike in general and its suitability to my needs which I would appreciated some opinions on.

1. How fast is an SR compared to my 1.8 saloon which does 0-60 in 12.9 seconds, 0-40 in 7 seconds, 0-30 in about 5 seconds and tops out at 120 mph (not that I've ever gone there!)

2. What sort of mpg will the bike get, keep in mind I live in the country side and its a 10 mile 60mph run to town so the bike would be near top speed a lot

3. Will the bike even reliably take me to 60 to do my 10 mile run down the trunk road?

4. I live in Edinburgh during term time and the bike would be a bugger to drive through (not being able to use the motorway) but handy while there, would it be possible to get the bike up a wide light of stairs and into a first story flat instead of leaving it on the street?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1. How fast is an SR compared to my 1.8 saloon which does 0-60 in 12.9 seconds, 0-40 in 7 seconds, 0-30 in about 5 seconds and tops out at 120 mph (not that I've ever gone there!)

125cc bikes Vs 1.8ltr car comparisons are at best pointless, the bike is a completely different animal. Suffice to say a 125 will be tremendously quicker off the mark, but the car will quickly catch up as with only 11 bhp to play with they soon run out of steam.

On an SR125 it'll all be over by 65-70mph but 1,000,000 sph (Smiles per hour)

2. What sort of mpg will the bike get, keep in mind I live in the country side and its a 10 mile 60mph run to town so the bike would be near top speed a lot

You should be looking to achive aaround 85-100 mpg

3. Will the bike even reliably take me to 60 to do my 10 mile run down the trunk road?

Yes, a reliable one will

4. I live in Edinburgh during term time and the bike would be a bugger to drive through (not being able to use the motorway) but handy while there, would it be possible to get the bike up a wide light of stairs and into a first story flat instead of leaving it on the street?

I'm sure you'd find the city traffic a lot easier on a bike, afterall that's why the sensible people use motorcycles to commute. As for the stairs......possible Yes, practical????? (have you ever seen Animal House? :D )

Here's another option.......

you're 21, so you quailfy to take the DAS (Direct Access Scheme) training, which allows you to do your training and test on a 500cc machine. Once the test has been passed, you are free to ride which ever bike, of any cc and bhp that you want, and this can be achived by a novice rider, within you're budget (including buying a bike, although not a nice shiny one, and remember your Peugeot has some value and once you've ridden a decent bike you'll not want to use the car again) in around 3-5 days of training. Sounds to me like you want speed, and there are bikes out there that will do in excess of 175mph for less than £5k (As a novice, don't expect to live long on one of these!)

The DAS training can be had for around £600 (which will include the CBT and Mod's 1&2). You're theory test will set you back about £30, leaving you around £400 for a bike. Have a look on Ebay for what's available for that sort of cash, you'll get far more large bike for £400 than you will 125.

Good luck and don't forget to let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the detailed reply :) (and sorry for my late reply)

I've been thinking a bit more and realised a few things.

I think because I weigh 15 stone a 125 isn't really going to cut it, I want a smaller bike to learn on but if I'm going to buy a bike I want one that can overtake sufficiently which means being able to do 40-80 at least as fast as my car.

I don't have the money at the moment but I think next summer when I've finished uni I will conciser doing direct access and then getting a bigger bike than a 125 but still something suitable for me to learn properly on (because we all know you really learn to drive after passing your test).

1. Does this sound like a good plan?

2. Will a Virago 250 suit my purposes or would the more powerful 400 be better - keeping in mind I want a capable bike but not one that is too powerful to lean on (and I'm quite heavy)?

3. I'm still trying to reconcile my safety concerns :P any advice there?

How about an XVS650, a good reputation and can be restricted or full power. Plenty fast enough and comfy. i would think they should suit a novice well

After chatting with a biking friend I have decided that something like an XVS650 is a good idea - something in the 40-60hp range

One thing thats confusing me though is most of the cruisers in this range MCN reviews describe as slow, for the XVS650 they said: 'only ever going to be in for an unhurried ride' and I have seen other videos and articles describe such bikes this way. What do they mean by this? Can anyone give me rough 0-60 times for an XVS650? How would one preform overtaking from say 50-80mph, would it achieve this faster than my 1.8 car?

Basically are they just slow compared to 'other' bikes or are they slow vehicles in general?

After chatting with a biking friend I have decided that something like an XVS650 is a good idea - something in the 40-60hp range

One thing thats confusing me though is most of the cruisers in this range MCN reviews describe as slow, for the XVS650 they said: 'only ever going to be in for an unhurried ride' and I have seen other videos and articles describe such bikes this way. What do they mean by this? Can anyone give me rough 0-60 times for an XVS650? How would one preform overtaking from say 50-80mph, would it achieve this faster than my 1.8 car?

Basically are they just slow compared to 'other' bikes or are they slow vehicles in general?

Bike reviews are funny beasts, they will generally say all cruisers are slow. A mate of mine had a Honda cruiser about ten years ago that would happily sit at 90mph all day and did 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. I guess an XVS650 would be a little better too. Overtaking would be a cinch, don't try to compare overtaking in any but the very fastest cars to motorcycles.

On the royal wedding day a group of us rode to devon, a chap (maybe 20 stone [sorry Dennis if you are reading this]) on an XV1300 hussled nearly as fast as the rest of us, only being slowed by the ground clearance on tight turns.

Don't assume you will want to get rid of your car; most of us still have a car (i can't concieve how i would buy bags of cement and move them on the bike, without a right-old mess). A very average Bike though will send the adrenalin rushing like very expensive and exotic car.

XVS's maybe slow or 'unhurried' but a moment ago you were contemplating a 250...jeez :lol:

They would be suitable for a novice though...if you want to go haring off to 80 all the time well get a sportsbike...it all depends which is most suitable for you in your current stage of motorcycle competance

Bike reviews are funny beasts, they will generally say all cruisers are slow. A mate of mine had a Honda cruiser about ten years ago that would happily sit at 90mph all day and did 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. I guess an XVS650 would be a little better too. Overtaking would be a cinch, don't try to compare overtaking in any but the very fastest cars to motorcycles.

On the royal wedding day a group of us rode to devon, a chap (maybe 20 stone [sorry Dennis if you are reading this]) on an XV1300 hussled nearly as fast as the rest of us, only being slowed by the ground clearance on tight turns.

Don't assume you will want to get rid of your car; most of us still have a car (i can't concieve how i would buy bags of cement and move them on the bike, without a right-old mess). A very average Bike though will send the adrenalin rushing like very expensive and exotic car.

I wont be getting rid of my car no, I need it for alot of things.

But concerning the XVS650 - I'm more tempted by the selection of Viragos to be honest, they seem better value and have a wide range of engines for me to pick from (though im still trying to understand the range), any opinions there?

XVS's maybe slow or 'unhurried' but a moment ago you were contemplating a 250...jeez :lol:

They would be suitable for a novice though...if you want to go haring off to 80 all the time well get a sportsbike...it all depends which is most suitable for you in your current stage of motorcycle competance

I know!

I understand car performance, I can think in 0-60 times and I know what cars go like with various power output.

With bikes Im just beginning to understand, it seems bikes handle speed differently to cars and I'm leaning. I think i've also been confused my the lack of proportion on cruiser engines with size/power. Some 600s seem to produce as much as some 1000s and sports bike engines are totally different again. Its all a learning process for me and I appreciate your guys help :)

My basic goal at the moment is to get as fast a bike as possible (for a reasonable price, somewhere under £2000) which I'm not going to immediately slam into a wall the day after my direct access :P

so depending on your age? diect access will leave you restricted or not?

I have an sr 125 and its a lot more reliable than a 2 stroke although the amount of posts i put on here make me look engines are indistructable although not nippy at all at 60mph and takes the length of a quentin tarantino film to get there, its simple to ride although i prefer being crouched over a tank, fuel consumptions excellent. its ok but i wont keep it for years.

terry

Direct access can leave you restricted? Though it was the test that allowed you to be unrestricted.

Im 21 btw to eligible to take direct access

When it comes to tests I should learn to keep schtumm, I thought direct access under a certain age left you restricted...maybe i'm wrong. It never affected me,

Zippo, no offence mate but you seem to be a bit unfocussed at the minute - starting with an SR125, then talking about a 250, then XVS650 then going to 'as fast a bike as possible .... which I'm not going to immediately slam into a wall'.

Can I assume you've not swung a leg over any bike yet? In which case it's a matter of 'If you're asking the question, you won't understand the answer'. Get yourself booked in for training and then you will find out just how different a bike is compared to a car in ways that the raw data just doesn't show. F'rinstance - Porsches/Ferraris and the like have similar performance to Fireblades/R1's etc, but in the car you ain't hanging on for dear life as the machine tries to rip your arms out of their sockets, while battling to keep the front wheel somewhere near the tarmac .... bikes are much more involving and a helluva lot more fun.

Once you're through your DAS you'll have a better understanding of the differences - bearing in mind DAS is usually done on a biking equivalent of a Mondeo (ER% Kwak, GS500 Suzi, CB500 Honda etc.), but even those will have you grinning like a loon the first time you twist the loud handle. Then go out and sit on every bike in every dealer around your area and make 'Vroom! Vroom!' noises until you find the one that makes you go "Oh yeah!" - then find that bike on ebay at half the price.

Whatever you go for, you will enjoy it - I've been riding for over 34 years and I still get a big grin on my face after every ride, even with my 'dispatch rider special, bland, nondescript' H*nda 650.

Here endeth the sermon ....

just to put in a bit of my experience .... I did CBT followed by 6 months on an SR125 before test ...then a virago 250 ( that lasted 2 months before I realized the laid back feet up ("giving birth")easy rider ...position was a bit odd for me so another change to a BMW f650 restricted - good move and 2 years experience on it before i went to Ducati mutistrada ...and after another year or so a short stay on a Moto Guzzi Breva 750..retro look and a bit slow ...before finally getting yamaha xj600 as a second bike and then swapping to a yamaha xj6N - great bike and so easy !

moral ....it takes time to find where you are comfy in a bike ..it also takes time to get experience and ability ..so be prepared to need to change even if it costs ...also really get to try a bike even if its just to sit on it... height of seat weight balance all feel different and theres one there for you but trawling the net can get you confused and excited too ! good luck

Zippo, no offence mate but you seem to be a bit unfocussed at the minute - starting with an SR125, then talking about a 250, then XVS650 then going to 'as fast a bike as possible .... which I'm not going to immediately slam into a wall'.

Can I assume you've not swung a leg over any bike yet? In which case it's a matter of 'If you're asking the question, you won't understand the answer'. Get yourself booked in for training and then you will find out just how different a bike is compared to a car in ways that the raw data just doesn't show. F'rinstance - Porsches/Ferraris and the like have similar performance to Fireblades/R1's etc, but in the car you ain't hanging on for dear life as the machine tries to rip your arms out of their sockets, while battling to keep the front wheel somewhere near the tarmac .... bikes are much more involving and a helluva lot more fun.

Once you're through your DAS you'll have a better understanding of the differences - bearing in mind DAS is usually done on a biking equivalent of a Mondeo (ER% Kwak, GS500 Suzi, CB500 Honda etc.), but even those will have you grinning like a loon the first time you twist the loud handle. Then go out and sit on every bike in every dealer around your area and make 'Vroom! Vroom!' noises until you find the one that makes you go "Oh yeah!" - then find that bike on ebay at half the price.

Whatever you go for, you will enjoy it - I've been riding for over 34 years and I still get a big grin on my face after every ride, even with my 'dispatch rider special, bland, nondescript' H*nda 650.

Here endeth the sermon ....

I'll accept I'm unfocused, I'm a total novice, I knew nothing at all about bikes 2 weeks ago and as I learn more my opinions change - e.g. as my understanding of the performance of bikes got a little better I decided a 125 or 250 wouldn't be enough and decided I would save money and hassle and go straight to a larger displacement cruiser with a little more power than the direct access test bikes.

But again that might totally change! I think my first step will be to go to a GetOn session and just prove to myself that I like the feeling of being on a bike, if I do I push on and if not I walk away and put my money into a car :)

Thanks for the advice, I very much appreciated it

just to put in a bit of my experience .... I did CBT followed by 6 months on an SR125 before test ...then a virago 250 ( that lasted 2 months before I realized the laid back feet up ("giving birth")easy rider ...position was a bit odd for me so another change to a BMW f650 restricted - good move and 2 years experience on it before i went to Ducati mutistrada ...and after another year or so a short stay on a Moto Guzzi Breva 750..retro look and a bit slow ...before finally getting yamaha xj600 as a second bike and then swapping to a yamaha xj6N - great bike and so easy !

moral ....it takes time to find where you are comfy in a bike ..it also takes time to get experience and ability ..so be prepared to need to change even if it costs ...also really get to try a bike even if its just to sit on it... height of seat weight balance all feel different and theres one there for you but trawling the net can get you confused and excited too ! good luck

Well as I say I can't start this endeavour properly until next summer - money permitting. So when that time comes I will go around a few dealers and sit on a few different style bikes, will also try and find a close-by seller of the particular bike I end up wanting and go and see it, even if the price is wrong for me, just to see.

I could also try renting a few bikes for a few hours each for a shot. But it does appear to me that as long as you don't damage them, bikes of a certain age seem to retain value so changing after a few months if you wanted wouldn't be that pricey.

At the moment I am most considering an XV535, XV750 or a Kawasaki VN800 (please don't lynch me for mentioning a not-Yamaha!)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online