geting my bike licence

anthony125
This post is 4639 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the best for the next hurdle Anthony :)

Hi, this might help you...........

MOD 1 Test tips:

The test starts from the moment you get on the bike, so don't forget observations even before you're on the testing ground. Remember this sequence....Neutral/Ignition/Stand.....when getting off the bike.

Enter the first available box to complete the manual handling exercise, push it back out as if you're leaving a parking space at Tesco, use observation techniques constantly, keep going backwards in a U shape so that once you've backed into and come to a stop in the second box you'll be ready to ride out for the slalom/ figure 8. When you've finished manually manouvering your bike, stay close to it, even inadvertantly kicking a cone with your foot is a fail.

Don't count the figutre 8's only stop when he calls you over(it has been known for some people to only complete 1.5 circuits)

Pull off and round the bend, accelerate pretty hard out of the bend and only back off once your through the speed trap, flick the bike through the avoidance (if they're still doing it) and front wheel stop into the box.

The next bit is where alot of people fail, the U-Turn. Observations before you pull off, THEN AGAIN BEFORE you make the turn, don't look down! find a point in the distance towards where you want the bike to go and look at that.

Slow ride keeping up with the examiner (they don't dawdle, so you shouldn't have any problems there)

Then back around the bend and through the speed trap again (Same as before) but this time it's an emergency stop. Leave the gears alone and leave the clutch until the very last seconds, stalling is OK (better if you don't) but losing control (without regaining it) is not.

Remember the test is not over until the bike is back in the parking space you started from so don't forget observations even once your off the playground. Park and get off! The test is now over.

Make sure that the bike you take the test on is between 120 & 125cc and is on the DSA's acceptable list. Some machines are not.

Make sure your insurance, MOT and Tax disc are all up to date, unbelievably when we went there was a young lad turned away from his test before it had even begun as his bike was not taxed!

In my humble opinion all this can be done and the test passed without the need for expensive tuition

MOD 2 Test tips:

Get some expensive tuition! Even riders who think they're good, probably aren't. The DSA like things done their way, learn to do it their way and you'll pass the test, after all that's what your paying to learn ........how to pass the test, not ride a motorcycle. They will ask you to ride a course set by them over the radio head set you'll be wearing, they will also ask you to direct yourself to a destination (harder than it sounds when you've everything else to think about at the same time) They will ask you to perform a hill start and pull away at an angle from behind a parked vehicle, you've already demonstrated the U turn and emergency stop in the Mod 1 test. The test costs £75.00 and test dates are rare and getting rarer, don't balls it up for the sake of a few quid.

Best of luck and let us know.

MOD 1 Test tips:

The test starts from the moment you get on the bike, so don't forget observations even before you're on the testing ground. Remember this sequence....Neutral/Ignition/Stand.....when getting off the bike.

Enter the first available box to complete the manual handling exercise, push it back out as if you're leaving a parking space at Tesco, use observation techniques constantly, keep going backwards in a U shape so that once you've backed into and come to a stop in the second box you'll be ready to ride out for the slalom/ figure 8. When you've finished manually manouvering your bike, stay close to it, even inadvertantly kicking a cone with your foot is a fail.

Don't count the figutre 8's only stop when he calls you over(it has been known for some people to only complete 1.5 circuits)

Pull off and round the bend, accelerate pretty hard out of the bend and only back off once your through the speed trap, flick the bike through the avoidance (if they're still doing it) and front wheel stop into the box.

The next bit is where alot of people fail, the U-Turn. Observations before you pull off, THEN AGAIN BEFORE you make the turn, don't look down! find a point in the distance towards where you want the bike to go and look at that.

Slow ride keeping up with the examiner (they don't dawdle, so you shouldn't have any problems there)

Then back around the bend and through the speed trap again (Same as before) but this time it's an emergency stop. Leave the gears alone and leave the clutch until the very last seconds, stalling is OK (better if you don't) but losing control (without regaining it) is not.

Remember the test is not over until the bike is back in the parking space you started from so don't forget observations even once your off the playground. Park and get off! The test is now over.

Make sure that the bike you take the test on is between 120 & 125cc and is on the DSA's acceptable list. Some machines are not.

Make sure your insurance, MOT and Tax disc are all up to date, unbelievably when we went there was a young lad turned away from his test before it had even begun as his bike was not taxed!

In my humble opinion all this can be done and the test passed without the need for expensive tuition

MOD 2 Test tips:

Get some expensive tuition! Even riders who think they're good, probably aren't. The DSA like things done their way, learn to do it their way and you'll pass the test, after all that's what your paying to learn ........how to pass the test, not ride a motorcycle. They will ask you to ride a course set by them over the radio head set you'll be wearing, they will also ask you to direct yourself to a destination (harder than it sounds when you've everything else to think about at the same time) They will ask you to perform a hill start and pull away at an angle from behind a parked vehicle, you've already demonstrated the U turn and emergency stop in the Mod 1 test. The test costs £75.00 and test dates are rare and getting rarer, don't balls it up for the sake of a few quid.

Cracking post Leatherat, my daughter failed hers last year by putting her foot down on the U turn, I'll get her to read this for her retake ;)

As I said, the U-turn catches a lot of people out. The only real 'trick' to it is not looking down, most people who put their foot down do so after glancing at the front wheel.

The other common fault, is lack of observation before making the turn. It has to be observation before you move off, then again immediately before you make the turn. once you've made the decission as to the point on the white line where you are going to start the turn, choose a spot in the distance from where you want to finish up and concentrate on that spot. The bike will go pretty much where you are looking. Once the turn has been done, pull up along the white line and then put your foot down.

I'm sure we all wish her the very best of luck with the re-test, don't forget to let us know how she gets on.

MOD 1 Test tips:

MOD 2 Test tips:

thanks for this it is a big help

Hi all

I got my MOD 1 on the 13th and 14th of july

Like a kid waiting for xmas

Just in the process of buying yellow and silver thundercat

Woo Hoo

Nice choice of first bike - I have same bike in red and white!

Best of luck with the tests, just relax and as said before concentrate on your observations and it will go fine.

Other tip I was given during my MOD 1 training for the u-turn was when you are about to make the turn, look over at the cone which sits at the end of the white line on the other side of the u-turn area. Focus on this and not the white line and you will then not end up crossing the line as part of your turn.

Worked for me!

Just like to say thanks to Leatherat for all the advice on the test. I'm looking at doing my DAS test in the next few weeks. I've been riding my DT125RE for 4 years and a suzuki ts50x for a year before that so im a competent rider but im still shit scared! This could be because my dad is a police trained motorcyclist and an ex instructor so the fear of failiure is tenfold! haha. Also because of how much it will mean to me to get the license! But the info on here has boosted my confidence alot, which is my main obstacle!

Cheers!

Andy

:D Fantastic! Well done that man! :D

When's the Mod 2 test? and did you have to do the dreaded avoidance test?

yes m8 it is not that bad but i did it on my ybr125 so it is lighter

as for mod 2 i am going to have some lessons then book it B)

MOD is short for module. It's a 2 part test, the parts are refered to as Modules hence Mod 1 & Mod 2.

Must be a new thing coz i never did one 2 years ago :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online