exhaust bolts ??

TheReverend
This post is 4710 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi me again :lol: all things being equal how easy is it to take out the exhaust bolt the ones that secure the exhaust to the engine ? do i need a special tool for this , thanks again Rev

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi me again :lol: all things being equal how easy is it to take out the exhaust bolt the ones that secure the exhaust to the engine ? do i need a special tool for this , thanks again Rev

use a socket, or do you mean studs? two nuts together real tight should get them out,or if replacing, weld a nut on them or use a stud extractor (about £15)

thank you kindly im trying to save money plus gain a knowlage about the working of my bike by doing it myself however i am aware that this could also cost me more by doing it incorrectly :( but touch wood n all that , thanks again, Rev

If you're going to take your exhaust on and off fairly regularly consider replacing with hex drive bolts.

When i bought my DT175A the exhaust bolts were sheared off, had to drill and tap larger holes at 8mm

There isn't a great deal of spanner clearance now so i've replaced them with these:

socket_caps_screw.jpg

Cost about $5 AUD, i'll nip them up hard with a hex drive in a socket

thank you kindly im trying to save money plus gain a knowlage about the working of my bike by doing it myself however i am aware that this could also cost me more by doing it incorrectly :( but touch wood n all that , thanks again, Rev

Whenever you remove and refit bolts crews etc, always refit with some Copaslip or similar anti seize compound on the

threads. Makes it easier to get em out next time around

brilliant i might try that seems alot easier than nuts n stuff i had to remove about three of them so i suppose i may as well remove the other took me ages to remove one gave me blisters :lol:

brilliant i might try that seems alot easier than nuts n stuff i had to remove about three of them so i suppose i may as well remove the other took me ages to remove one gave me blisters :lol:

Rev

While taking on board what Neversaydie suggests,and as a rule of thumb yes you do grease bolts screws as to make it easier for extraction next time out, theres also certain bolts/screws you actually need to do the opposite to, as in make them stay in,i.e. Disk/rotor bolts, and sprocket bolts,these need a dab of "Loctite blue", on the thread, along with some others, a decent workshop manual shouldl tell you whether or not to grease, or loctite. ;)

Hope this helps Nev

picked up some of those bolts today they look guchi all black n shiny ill use some anti seize stuff n job done oh bought some down pipes today couldnt wait anymore :lol: so they should be here by the end of the week latest back on the road weekend wahoo, thanks gain for all the help n tips much appreciated, Rev

picked up some of those bolts today they look guchi all black n shiny ill use some anti seize stuff n job done oh bought some down pipes today couldnt wait anymore :lol: so they should be here by the end of the week latest back on the road weekend wahoo, thanks gain for all the help n tips much appreciated, Rev

Bokkocks didn't catch this soon enough, that gucci black coating will come off as you wind em in then act like locktite with the heat.

If you are replacing exhaust bolts the only, only, option is stainless with spring washers underneath so they stay put. They are the only things that won't sieze in either through shite in the threads or 'growing' together with the steel.

The exhaust on a 2stroke comes off far more often than most of us would really like so worries about the exhaust studs is a no no.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online