New project on it's way

DirtyDT
This post is 4724 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Post some sizes and drewpy will fab a new one from his lava lamp, or a mop end ;)

Not sure if I understood that :huh:.

Got some bits from Canada coming. Just a word of warning, if buying from Canada make sure you get AIR postage quoted. It takes Months and Months if stuff is sent surface mail (trust me I know this). Nothing exciting but it does include another oil pump, just in case. Comes with all the banjos etc for £7.50 so can't moan.

I also have my eye or am bidding on a couple of other bits. Some used and some NOS. One NOS item is is missing from my bike so keeping a very close eye on it.

I have found that the engine is the right one for the bike and I can't read very well :rolleyes:. 14 difference between frame and engine.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neighbour of mine is a coded welder/ metal fabricator (like he's certified to work on neucliar/oil metalwork work). If the pipe you have is still in reasonable shape i'm betting he could patch it pretty damn close for nothing like the STOOOOOPID money of that new one.

Like i said as long as its still got the original shape, that was the only reason we couldn't save my old DT pipe as my half arsed welding attempts patching it over the years had made it go all half cocked so he couldn't fix it, well he could but i fell lucky and got the new one and that was far easier/better.

The shape is still there. I test fitted it in the earlier picture with the tank on. You know the one. The one with the rusty shite in it :lol: It all lines up. Do you want to have a word with him for me please to see if he is up for it? I can take some close up pics tomorrow to see show what it looks like if he is interested and I have some beer tokens in the bike fund :D. Cheers.

No problem i'll see him over the weekend, i'll send you a pm when i know more.

No problem i'll see him over the weekend, i'll send you a pm when i know more.

Cheers. Much appreciated.

Cheers OG. It is the wrong part number.

I am getting quite anal and sad focused on this project :D .

I am transferring every part number into a database so I can check it quickly and from my phone.

focus.jpg

How sad is that??

Hey DirtyDT

The tank looks great for its age. What did it cost you?

Have you sat down and tried to estimate what the total cost of restoring the bike might be?

Rocky

Hey DirtyDT

The tank looks great for its age. What did it cost you?

Have you sat down and tried to estimate what the total cost of restoring the bike might be?

Rocky

The tank cost £76 of the Queens paper money plus postage from Germany.

It is difficult to estimate actual costs. So far, including the bike purchase, I have spent around £500. I would guess that I am looking to spend another £1500 but that will include new wheel rims and spokes, a little paint, bits and a bore/crank for a complete engine rebuild and some spares. I would guess to just get it road legal and running, it would cost around £500. The benefit you have is that there is an abundance of classic parts of all marques in the States and it seems easier buying from there if you are Canada based. It is often beneficial to but from there if you are in the UK. Just remember the import tax rules. Canada have a lot of parts too but the international postage is huge and therefore is not a cost effective option most of the time. I do have some bits coming from Canada, USA and some small pattern parts from Thailand at the moment.

• 2 months later...

Hi OG.

It is half stripped and sitting next to my other engine. The rectifier bolts and swingarm bolts are seized and have had lots of anti seize on them I have just been tinkering with it. I have next week off so back to the frame then. I will put up some pics and may start a thread on the projects thread. I have 2 boxes of bits (so far) including a lot of NOS bits that have turned upon evilbay.

I have been very bust at work trying to sort out some Magnetic Resonance Imaging work (MRI's to most people) so I need to get on with it TBH!