oil level check `99 dragstar

mick1950
This post is 4914 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, just got my little baby. The manual (disk) says to keep the bike level whilst checking the oil level.....easier said than done on your own and without a centre stand! Do I `wood block up` the side stand, taking obvious care not to drop it to the right, or is there a safer way to do it? many thanks, mick.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all, just got my little baby. The manual (disk) says to keep the bike level whilst checking the oil level.....easier said than done on your own and without a centre stand! Do I `wood block up` the side stand, taking obvious care not to drop it to the right, or is there a safer way to do it? many thanks, mick.

woodie woddie wood pecker :D

Aye, throw a block of Wood under sidestand, dont let the bike fall :P warm up the engine first, then let it cool down a BIT, then check the oil level B)

I use a 7" x 7" x 12" gate post off cut, on its side it's long enough for both of the frame rails to sit on giving a you a solid base, and high enough for the rear wheel to be off the ground. Mine came from when I put a 5 bar gate at the top of my access lane but I'm sure you can get a lump like that from B&Q etc. To get the bike on the block, stand on the right (rear brake side) push the bike away from you using the side stand as a lever and slide the block under at an angle, then pull the bike back towards you and slide it onto the block. This is easier to do than it sounds and gives you a stable platform for both oil level checks and rear wheel /chain issues. When the blck is not in use as a stand, my missus uses it as a plant pot stand outside the back door. Hope this helps.

Or better still get a longer piece of timber, say 30" x 7" x 5" and at one end fit a metal bar (or could be a bit of timber) in the 7" width (edit got it wrong first time). Slide under frame and then just pivot bar to floor so it is now 7" high and supporting frame. This saves your side stand from undue stress. And your back

Not sure it makes such a great plant pot stand :lol:

I also woodblock it because I am a stubborn fool.

When she's around, the Mrs checks both bikes, while I just hold them upright.

I would suggest using a proper bike jack, though.

You can get them quite cheam these days and will really come in handy later on.

Sorry, been away for the weekend watching my football team getting knocked out of the FA Cup by a team 3 leagues below them!....pathetic performance but the other team were brilliant.....a case of good old FA Cup mini giant killing! Anyway,thanks for all your amusing replies. Can`t use the wife to check the levels...I didn`t tell her i bought the 1980 US Custom....she found out 6 months later and went ape!....understandable i suppose but hey! and I`m not going to tell her i`ve now bought the Dragstar!.....I`m definately a dead man if i do!! I`m nealy 60 for god`s sake....i thought you could do what you liked when you got older after the kids had fled the nest.....wrong!

On my 1100 I use 3pc of 4 x 4. One piece about 24", one 6", the other is about 8". With the bike on it's side stand, put the long piece under the bike in front of the back wheel. Place it so you can lay the 8" piece on top on the stand side, then place the 6" piece on the other end just under the frame rail. Now you simply upright the bike and push the 8" piece under the rail with your foot and there you go. I use this method when I want to check oil, change wheel and during long term storage. You can literally dance on the bike. The closer to the rear wheel the easier to upright the bike.

Never thaught checking oil level would be so hard,,,,,,,,,,,just check the darn thing :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your input. Can`t use the wife as she doesn`t even know i have this one!! I chose to opt for Flyin Brian`s method......perfick. so cheers everyone and safe biking.