Spark Plug Help

bindie
This post is 4951 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, First post so here goes, looking for advice on plugs for 97 xv535, currently running "standard" ngk plugs, was wondering if changing to iridium would be beneficial or just a waste of extra cash

Thanks for your opinions / advice in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

In my opinion, waste of cash.

NGK ones work fine and they're what Yamaha recommend. Ain't broke, don't fix it and all that.

That said, I haven't actually bothered to see what iridium ones are all about anyway.

I believe they're to do with slightly enhanced performance, but it won't make much difference with a Cruiser. Only really need to fret over minor performance matters on Sporty bikes and things you ride on a racetrack.

hi,

wasn't sure about spending out on iridium plugs,but i thought i would give them a go anyway.

i found that it will tick over a lot slower and smoother now, and the throttle response is quicker.

i got mine for a good price on ebay just over £13.00 the pair delivered.

the link to the plugs is below if you are interested.

Item number: 360292971538

cheers alan.

I have an Irridium plug in the TTR, makes no difference at all to the bike once it' running..... what it has done though is improve starting from cold, over a stock plug.

THIS was floating around the other day, basically an ad for their silver plugs but must be some truth in the fact iridium is a useless conductor and best left to visors

Gas up, was that better starting than when you had previously fitted new standard copper core plugs? or just better than the old plug you removed ??

merv

my yzf750 used to get through a set of plugs every 6 months, i have had my iridium in for over a year and they havent fouled up once.i will never go back especially as you can get a set of 4 for £20 on ebay. chris

Gas up, was that better starting than when you had previously fitted new standard copper core plugs? or just better than the old plug you removed ??

It's better. I have tried a new 'normal' plug and it can take a while to fire up. It has to be noted though that the TTR is a pig when it's cold, if the battery isn't tip-top you can easily flatten it by getting the choke/fuel tap wrong.

My understanding is that the spark on the Irridium plug is somehow hotter, I've no idea why, or even if this is true, but if it is true then it explains why the bike fires up quicker from cold. I have to say, there is no difference at all from warm, and no difference in performance or running attributes.

Tell ya what my Vigor 650 is a pig to start if you leave fuel in the float bowl, i always turn the fuel off just before i get home and let it drain the float bowl, next time turn fuel on wait 30 seconds press button away she goes, leave it full of fuel it cranks over forever before it fires

Hmmm, interesting...

For the first time in, like.... ever, I've been having trouble starting the bike up recently. It has gotten notably colder in the past few weeks and my usual start-up sequence has caused more problems.

I normally whack on full choke, give the throttle a couple twists, flip on the ignition and gun her into life. Leave for a minute to warm up and away ya go.

Suddenly, she only starts if I ignore all that, start from complete cold and 'manually' choke it with the throttle.

Perhaps my plugs need looking at :D

I might look into them iridium ones, then.

They sell 'em at Halfords, perchance? :huh:

Hmmm, interesting...

For the first time in, like.... ever, I've been having trouble starting the bike up recently. It has gotten notably colder in the past few weeks and my usual start-up sequence has caused more problems.

I normally whack on full choke, give the throttle a couple twists, flip on the ignition and gun her into life. Leave for a minute to warm up and away ya go.

Suddenly, she only starts if I ignore all that, start from complete cold and 'manually' choke it with the throttle.

Perhaps my plugs need looking at :D

I might look into them iridium ones, then.

They sell 'em at Halfords, perchance? :huh:

they sell them at halfords but they are about a tenner each, i got a set of four for £20 off ebay . chris

Check out this Topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It seames NGK are every bit as good as Iridium, but them Silver plugs might be a bit better for the standerd untuned engine !

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online