LED stop / tail lights - Any good?

ryanwilki
This post is 4997 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi,

Ive got a dt50 with a broken tail light. The stop light is fine but they are both the same bulb.

I was looking on ebay for a new one and saw the 24 LED ones (6v as my bike is a 1993), and just wondered if they are worth the £4 extra? Has anybody got any of these, what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-led-red-stop-and-tail-light-bulb-6v-/150486906751?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2309b7f77f

my bike:

S7301354.jpg

But ive now repainted the forks and fitted new gaitors. Also just bought some chrome mirrors :)

Cheers,

Ryan.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi,

Ive got a dt50 with a broken tail light. The stop light is fine but they are both the same bulb.

I was looking on ebay for a new one and saw the 24 LED ones (6v as my bike is a 1993), and just wondered if they are worth the £4 extra? Has anybody got any of these, what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-led-red-stop-and-tail-light-bulb-6v-/150486906751?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2309b7f77f

my bike:

S7301354.jpg

But ive now repainted the forks and fitted new gaitors. Also just bought some chrome mirrors :)

Cheers,

Ryan.

Not familiar with your bike but is your electrical system still only 6V or is there a step down for the lights? Just curious.

About LED stop/tail bulbs: they work best in lights where the lens and reflector are specifically designed for the light output of LED bulbs. LED bulbs project light in a much narrower angle than do filament bulbs. Basically, you have to experiment with different design LED bulbs to see which work best with your older design lens/reflector. Sometimes, installing LED bulbs will result in tail/stop lights that are dimmer than when using filament bulbs and you don't want that. I experimented with a couple designs in my scoot tail/stop lights until I found those I was satisfied with. What works for one design tail light may not be OK in a different design light. I just ordered a set of LED 1157 bulbs for my '80 XS400 to see how they will be. If your tail light contains 2 bulbs, replace just one with the LED version so you can see how it compares with the filament type bulb.

Not familiar with your bike but is your electrical system still only 6V or is there a step down for the lights? Just curious.

About LED stop/tail bulbs: they work best in lights where the lens and reflector are specifically designed for the light output of LED bulbs. LED bulbs project light in a much narrower angle than do filament bulbs. Basically, you have to experiment with different design LED bulbs to see which work best with your older design lens/reflector. Sometimes, installing LED bulbs will result in tail/stop lights that are dimmer than when using filament bulbs and you don't want that. I experimented with a couple designs in my scoot tail/stop lights until I found those I was satisfied with. What works for one design tail light may not be OK in a different design light. I just ordered a set of LED 1157 bulbs for my '80 XS400 to see how they will be. If your tail light contains 2 bulbs, replace just one with the LED version so you can see how it compares with the filament type bulb.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, my whole electrical system is 6v (i think). Well my headlight goes brighter as the revs go higher. And my tail light/stop light is the same bulb. I think i will just stick with a filament bulb. I dont have the cash to start experimenting lol.

Thanks again :)

Hey bud, thats a nice bike you got there, reminds me of my old '90 DT50 *sniffle*

from my experiance it is not worth changing to LEDs, i only blew one tail lamp in my whole year and half of owning my DT and as mentioned above the LEDs will project light in a much more narrow angle and so from different positions may be less visible than a conventional bulb.

btw, dont spose your looking to sell your DT in the near future?... just curious...

Hey bud, thats a nice bike you got there, reminds me of my old '90 DT50 *sniffle*

from my experiance it is not worth changing to LEDs, i only blew one tail lamp in my whole year and half of owning my DT and as mentioned above the LEDs will project light in a much more narrow angle and so from different positions may be less visible than a conventional bulb.

btw, dont spose your looking to sell your DT in the near future?... just curious...

Yeah i thought that too. And everything on the bike seems original so now want to keep it that way. Its only had 2 owners and only one of them had it on the road. The guy before me used it as a field bike. Its got 13000 miles and just before i bought it the guy had a big bore kit (60cc) put on by a garage, cost him £595 !!

Anyway i got it for £275 :) :)

Ive ordered some mirrors, front shoes, and now just need a rear tyre. It has 11 months MOT but no tax.

Hopefully i will get it on the road within 3 weeks. Waiting on my provisional.

Heres a recent pic, after refurbing the forks and stuff:

S7301368.jpg

I will be selling it around march ish when im old enough for a 125 :) - dt125 that is ;)

Thanks for the reply

Ryan.

One important point to remember with LED lights. If you have coloured lenses like your DT get WHITE led lamps. If you get red then the red lense actually reduces the output of the unit as it actually filters the red light from the led's. Makes a surprising difference.

LEDS are all good in my book. Last longer, not as easy to damage and use less power. A well designed unit will be visable at different angles.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online