Dripping carb and cleaning plastic fenders

saltcreekknife
This post is 4998 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just finished getting an 81 DT175 running. After it sat overnight, I noticed a little gas running out of the carb's overflow tube. (a 1" drip area on the floor, not much) I replaced the floatbowl needle. Could it be a faulty needle or do I need to check the floatbowl level?

Also, how do you clean the white plastic fenders. They are stained, and I do not want to damage the surface. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the leak could be float level but more likely your needle valve not seating tight, perhaps a little dirt.

i have always used a little t cut on white plastics.

mine's dripping too, even with a new(ish) valve in it!

I had it out yesterday but it looked ok, I raised the float level from the recommended 21mm to 23mm...and it still leaks a bit. I will be getting a new valve next :angry:

Yeah try T Cut paint restorer or whatever you have on the East side of the Altlantic. B)

for plastics I use Peeks polish, good stuff.

as far as needle valves, they are finiky buggers, I had to mess with mine right up to the day of the ride to Colraine from manchester.

I've not heard of the products you guys have mentioned. I will check around on the internet to see if they are available. If not, I will find something similar.

I will play around with the needle valve tomorrow and see what I can figure out

Thanks