1993 DT50 - need some help please!

ryanwilki
This post is 4975 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

im new here. Im 16 and have just bought a 93 DT50 as my first road bike. Im new to yamahas but love mine already so cant wait to get learning :)

Anyway, my first problem has arrived. The guy i bought it from told me that it has been bored out to 60cc. But im not sure whether to belive him, can anybody tell me how i would know if it has been bored out? And what problems may arise if it is 60cc (ie, mechanically but also riding it on a Provisional moped CBT license? How would i go about insuring it etc?

And would i be best taking it back to 50cc or is this hard to do?

All answers very appreciated, i will get pics up soon!

Thanks,

Ryan :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum Ryan.

The way to tell if it has been bored out to 60cc, would be to take the cylinder off and measure the diameter of the bore and piston then compare it to the Yamaha specs for your bike.

Tbh i think its is unlikely that it has, and imo its more likely that the previous owner has had the bike re-bored to the first or second oversize, as is common when a cylinder is damaged/worn, but this won't get it to 60cc afaik or affect your insurance.

50cc bikes are usually uprated to 70-80cc by the fitting of a larger cylinder (aka a big-bore kit), so 60cc doesn't sound right to me.

If it has been bored out, then it is unlikely to cause any problems with the bike, as long as it was done by a professional bike shop and not by some guy with a flap wheel in his shed. If a big-bore kit has been fitted then this would be different and if it was me i would check the bike for part numbers on the cylinder/head and compare it to the standard parts to make sure its original.

If it isn't original and you want to be totally straight concerning the insurance, then purchasing a new/secondhand cylinder and fitting it would be a good learning experience for you and not too difficult.

Personally, either way i would just insure it as a standard DT50 and enjoy the bike. And plead ignorance if any issue should arise.

HTH

Vez.

A 60cc big bore kit (yes, they do make them, dunno why when 70 or 80 costs about the same ...) would give you a bore of 43mm against the standard 39mm, so a quick lift of the head will easily check that.

As for the legality, play dumb, as far as you know it's a 50, that's what the guy sold it to you as, that's what it says on the log book, you've got no reason to suspect anything different, no idea how to check anyway, etc ......

When my lad started out, the first thing I did was to put a 70cc big bore onto his Suzuki TS50 and set it up to pull 55-60 (with my fat ar$e pinning it down) - as far as I know it's still doing the biz now, 4 years later ... last seen smoking away from the traffic light grand prix in Aberdoom.

No way on God's green earth would I let anyone out on to the roads with only a strangled 35mph machine under them - it's dangerous enough out there even when you can (just) keep up with the homicidal maniacs in cages, but wobbling around in the gutter ..... shudder!

Thanks for the replies, you've put my mind at rest :)

I bought it for £275. It needs wing mirrors, a new rear tyre, the front brake sqeeks, speedo doesnt work and i need an L plate for the back. Oh and the tail light doesnt work, told it was a bulb.

Also, the guy before me stripped a screw that attatched the carb bowl to bottom of carb and then replaced it with a screw made for use with wood. So the thread on one of the carb bolts is stripped and leaks out the side ever so slightly.

Does anybody know where i could get a new carb? And any reccomendations?

Today i stripped the whole bike down and gave it a good clean, the petrol tank was full of grit, as was the 2 stroke oil tank. The carb was too so ive cleaned all them along with the baffle and it runs much smoother now.

Im very happy with the rear brake, has a firm feel to it and stops really well but the front is squeely and soft to pull, any suggestions on how to improve this (im new to drum brake). Also the speedo, any idea on where to start?

As to the rear tyre, its completly bald, no idea how it passed its MOT 2 weeks ago!! Is there somewhere i can buy a new one from, i like the idea of the nobbly look but want some decent grip too! :)

Anyway, 20q over lol. PICS:

S7301354.jpg

S7301356.jpg

S7301357.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

Cheers,

Ryan

Let's see .....

Carb - evilbay, local breakers, the lads up at Breaking Point (Clicky Link wossname here) have a good stock of this sort of thing and are quite quick on the postage front. Or you could try filling the stripped thread hole with JB Weld or similar and drilling/tapping a new thread - it's not as if it's under any great stress, is it?

Front brake - difficult to make out from the pics (nice looking wee bike, by the way), but the cable looks to be near the limit of the adjuster, so it could be your shoes are nearly knackered (or the cable's stretched beyond reasonableness!). Inspect and replace as needed. Or it could just be a rubbish brake - half-width hub an' all that!

Speedo - start with the cable and work up to the speedo - probably a snapped cable.

Tyres - I popped one of these on the lad's TS - looked OK and gripped well enough for him to scrape the pegs (on a trailie 50 - yikes!) - Clicky Link to WEMoto. Oh yeah, on a 'ped you only need visible tread to pass the MOT, so as long as the pattern could be seen .....

HTH

Cheers mate. You got a pic of yours?

I was reading your other thread before about hi-tech reeds. I have no idea what they are and so dont know whether i have got them or not but the guy i bought mine from said that he had a 60cc big bore kit (i measured 43-44mm piston against the standard 39mm) and claimed it goes 65mph. Dont believe him though.

I will let you know once my provisional comes through and ive done my cbt :)

Heres a recent pic: Since i have got it i have cleaned out the carb, petrol tank and baffle. I have re-painted the forks, fitted new speedo cable and front shoes (but my brake is still rubbish on the front - really soft) and ive changed the gearbox and 2t oil for some decent stuff. Runs really well. Up and down the drive that is lol, will have to see how it really is once i manage to get out of 3rd :D

S7301368.jpg

Its only had 2 owners and has done 13000 miles. Cost me £275 plus the cost of the parts i mentioned before.

Whats yours like?

Cheers mate. You got a pic of yours?

I was reading your other thread before about hi-tech reeds. I have no idea what they are and so dont know whether i have got them or not but the guy i bought mine from said that he had a 60cc big bore kit (i measured 43-44mm piston against the standard 39mm) and claimed it goes 65mph. Dont believe him though.

If it's the same guy that claimed the big bore kit (inc fitting) cost him £595, then I wouldn't believe him either!

..... my brake is still rubbish on the front - really soft ....

New shoes will need bedding in a bit, plus the cable could be old and shot. Also, for maximum efficiency, the angle between the cable and the arm on the brake drum should be as near as dammit 90 degrees (right angle) - anything other than this will reduce the amount of pull being transferred to the shoes. If you can't get 90 deg by adjusting the cable, and the arm is in the correct position, then a new cable would be in order or you could shift the arm around like we used to when the shoes were fecked, allegedly, but would you want to hit the brakes hard not knowing when the cable may snap?

Its only had 2 owners and has done 13000 miles. Cost me £275 plus the cost of the parts i mentioned before.

I'd say you've done very well out of the deal, keep it tidy and you'll get a good price for it when you move up at 17 (example: my lad's TS50 cost £200 as a field bike, I spent just over £100 doing it up, big bore kit and tyres mostly, he got over £600 for it as a trade-in on his 125 - WIN!).

Betcha can't wait to get that CBT under your belt!

Sorry dont no how to upload the photos to the post. But all i can say though is that my bike was in a sorry state when i bought it as none of the electrics were wired properly as in the battery wasn't connected to the loom the horn was missing as was the horn button on the switch gear so had to purchase a new left hand switch gear new horn battery, rear brake light switch, had to put all new connectors on to the wires as they were just wrapped up in masking tape. I have fitted the high tech reeds new big bore kit as when i was ridding once i lost all compression and with further inspection i noticed that the piston ring had welded it self to the piston don't no how that happened though. I purchased new decals as there were none on there when i bought it now it looks like a proper DT

Hi,

yep my electrics were shot too. Everything worked but the connections were dodgy and some of the wires were in bad nic so i just cleaned them all, re-taped them and fixed dodgy wires with my soldering iron. At the same time ive put a secret killswitch somewhere on the bike hidden so that if anybody manages to hotwire it by taking out the key etc, they will panic when it doesnt start haha. Only I know how to start it lol. Got the switch from an old RC car :)

Ive ordered a new brake cable just to be safe too.

The guy was telling the truth about tthe big bore kit costing so much. Ive had a look at the reciept and its valid. He didnt tell me that for that price he got a service and MOT thrown in though.

What are these hi-tech reeds that you have? What do they do and where do they go?

yeah cant wait to get on it!! Insurance i got quoted £181 a year but thats thrid party only. Compehensive was £300 dearer and id only get about £250 if anything happened to it so its dead money really. Ive got a huge chain, padlock and D-lock, aswell as my secret killswitch so theres no way they are getting it anyway. Well i hope not!

And my provisional SHOULD be here in 2 weeks max. Should i get booking my CBT now?

Cheers

Ryan.

if/when your looking to sell it next year and your ready for a big bike, pm me first and i will line your palm with whatever silver you want for it.

reminds me of my little Plod, god i miss that bike... G237MYA where are you now? :(

Hi. Yep I will do. I'm in Bolton, Manchester. Can't believe I have interest already! I've just ordered a new big bore kit, gasket set and top end stud kit to get it to it's optimum again. Should be back on the road again in a few days :)

I'm in Bolton, Manchester. Can't believe I have interest already!

im currently in Reading for the next two years, but i dont mind traveling.

reminds me so much of my little Plod, i really miss that bike, even if it did burn the baffles out of the exhaust, chew up 2 big bore kits and i drowned it in a lake... :(