orange flashing lights!

dan-d
This post is 4940 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Dont you just wish someone would invent something to show people behind that their going to turn? ooo like a little flashing light of some sort?!

just nearly ran into the back of someone being an arsehole cuming down a hill going about 25 so i had my brakes on lightly to keep my distance and half way down the hill the twat in the car infront decides to rapidly stop and without even indicating decides hmmm i think il turn off here! no warning just managed to get around him without clipping his precious car! then he didnt even relise its a farm road that isnt open to familes on a random outing! i just wish someone would put something on cars etc. to show ther about to turn off in advance rather than them nearly spoiling the back end of their shiny shiny cars! oh wait i've been informed they do have them :o

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

doing 25 gives an indictor that they are looking to turn sometimes soon.

experience dictates that i would keep back or flash them to let them know someone is behind!

yes I know its a pain but that's what's needed to survive

Worse than that is the clowns who turn off (with or without a warning) and then just STOP when just entered into the turn and half their car is still on the main road, I've seen tw@ts pull this manouvre to let a pedestrian cross over from a traffic island- :huh:

a could clearly see a family in the car tho and a was keepin a distance and they wer goin slow coz the hill is near my street and its steep down a shear drop and then it turns back up hill. every1 a no goes slow down ther but they turned off down a farm road that isnt a public road! they had no reason to turn down ther :P typical sunday drivers i rekons

Hate to say it, but.....

If you almost crash into the vehicle in front of you, then YOU were either following too close or going too fast to start with.

Remember that rule - Always be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear?

It's in operation ALL the time.

There was a famous blog by a friend of mine called Longrider. He gave a classic example and perfect explanation of how he was following at proper distance and going nicely below the speed limit, yet was still going too fast for a situation that presented itself.

In court an incident may still be ruled as not your fault - but if you think about it, there is almost always something YOU could have done to prevent it becoming dangerous, or worse. Trick is to think about these and learn them before you encounter such situations.

Another common one for bikes is to overtake (or undertake) a vehicle that has slowed, with indicators flashing, to seemingly make a turn. The driver then changes their mind and decides to carry on, smacking into the bike just as it passes through their blind spot.

Friend of mine did this and the 4x4 he was overtaking actually went to turn completely opposite to where she was indicating - Instead of going down the major-to-minor road, she went to crash into a blank wall. As it was, she hit the bike instead.

The trick here is to wait until the vehicle actually starts to turn before you burn past.

The only thing a flashing indicator tells you for certain is that the bulb and relay are working. All else is guesswork and conjecture - far better to practice reading the 'body language' of the vehicles around you ... every time I avoid an incident before it's developed (in the car) my missus keeps asking me how I knew THAT car would pull THAT particular stupid stunt, and she's an Advanced driver!

Some phrases that went through my head on a 60 mile drive just yesterday afternoon:

"I've got no idea what you're up to sunshine, so I'll just hang back a bit"

"Blind lefthander, lots of 4x4's on the road, let's just move a bit left ..... ooh look, he's cut it, quelle surprise!"

"Slow, erratic, keeps tapping the brakes at every junction ... he's lost, watch for the sudden stop/U-turn"

"Pleasant Sunday afternoon, Doris and her pals are out in force, let's play 'Dodge the Micra'"

Build up a repertoire of thoughts like this and you'll survive longer, be less tense on the road and be able to do a Stallone Judge Dredd impression every now and then .... "I knew you were gonna do that!".

Guest CardBoardDave

Some phrases that went through my head on a 60 mile drive just yesterday afternoon:

"I've got no idea what you're up to sunshine, so I'll just hang back a bit"

"Blind lefthander, lots of 4x4's on the road, let's just move a bit left ..... ooh look, he's cut it, quelle surprise!"

"Slow, erratic, keeps tapping the brakes at every junction ... he's lost, watch for the sudden stop/U-turn"

"Pleasant Sunday afternoon, Doris and her pals are out in force, let's play 'Dodge the Micra'"

Build up a repertoire of thoughts like this and you'll survive longer, be less tense on the road and be able to do a Stallone Judge Dredd impression every now and then .... "I knew you were gonna do that!".

Good post :)

• 2 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online