oil cooler

lizzybuff
This post is 3576 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have got a 1999 xj600N and as i was cleaning it yesterday i noticed that the two cylindrical bits on the lower end of the oil inlet and output pipes are starting to look a bit worse for wear ( i have looked in my haynes and cant find out what these bits are called but if you run from the oil cooler via the pipes downwards you reach two joiners on each pipe and these are starting to rot out)i have been to my local yam dealer and im gunna have to fork out 95 quid for each ,presumably it will include the inlet/outlet pipe as well. has anyone any idea where i can get them cheaper or can i either blank it off or replace with hydrolic fittings of some sort? Ideas please. X X

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Theyre called 'banjos' Buffy, you can source bolts and copper washers the same size and use these to 'blank-off' the oil cooler, previous XJ's dont have the oil cooler and the engine is exactly the same, its a wee bit of gimmick really, oh and blanking off on these bikes is a fairly common 'mod' with no reported issues, sup to you tho' its your ride :)

Theyre called 'banjos' Buffy, you can source bolts and copper washers the same size and use these to 'blank-off' the oil cooler, previous XJ's dont have the oil cooler and the engine is exactly the same, its a wee bit of gimmick really, oh and blanking off on these bikes is a fairly common 'mod' with no reported issues, sup to you tho' its your ride :)

cheers matey gunna blank it off better than forking out for new bits at 95 quid! X

but if you run from the oil cooler via the pipes downwards you reach two joiners on each pipe and these are starting to rot out)

I think you mean the two connections in the middle. I have just had the same problem with mine. What I did was coat them with resin & hardener and then put fibreglass tissue over it and re-coat it with more resin/hardener, waited for it to dry and then paint it with the old faithful hammerite.

BUT, I do agree with Jim(BWJ). In fact I'm thinking of doing that myself. Disconnect the two banjo bolts at the bottom of the pipes and blank them off with two bolts.

• 3 years later...

hi i have got a very bad leaking coming from the same place so basically follow the pipes to the bottom and get copper washers and two bolts and put them in what will happen if it was to go wrong i am a lady so be kind

Just be careful VR not to do the bolts up to tight, they are aluminium threads, so if you gorilla it your going to have fun with a helicoil set. I have a spare in my garage for my XJ, if your having problems then just look on EBAY and wait till a cheap one shows up and swap out the old one.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online