Advice for 1st Bike

Welshy81
This post is 5060 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Enjoy, everybody is different but unless its a straight flat road(track) a lot of bikes are better, my TDR is just as nutty but my hands dont hurt.

That said its also an aquired taste as it also has its flaws.

Ride safe.....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hey this is my first post on here, but you bought the right bike in the end! i have had 2 R6's the first on a W plate when i passed my test at 21 and now i ride an 05 plate r6 , and to be honest my arms, hands dont ache, mybe my arse after 2 hours of riding but even when you do get off the bike and your hands hurt clench your fists a few times and the(very little) pain has gone. I hope you enjoy your R6 as much as i do mine pal!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Buy and read Roadcraft. It will make you wonder how you survived for all those years. Highly recommended.

Thanks for all the replies. Well I have had my bike for about 3 weeks now and clocked up 500 miles. Just cant seem to go a day without taking it out for a spin! As for the wrist/palm discomfort that is without doubt getting better as I am getting more used to the bike. So far I'm well happy with my choice!

However I'm not sure if its just me or what but I seem to find the turning circle on the r6 greater than on the cbf500 I was on previously. It may just be me being extra cautious not to drop it, anyone else agree with this??

I seem to find the turning circle on the r6 greater than on the cbf500 I was on previously.

Get yourself into a carpark, get off the bike and turn it on full lock - then do it riding the bike.

Being able to turn the bike in a tight spot is one f the most underestimated things to do on a bike. When you eventually get on a ferry and everyone else is faffing around pushing the bike back and forth you can just ride round and be on your way. Same goes for a carpark, turning in the road, and other manouvres.

It's a great skill to have and it looks way cooler than pedaling it backwards when you need to turn round!

Think about how tight you get a left turn, you should be able to hold that tightness for a full circle!

Good advice there from Gas up,

Yep its important to know how much room you need to do a full circle, comes in so handy.

Most sports bikes do have a wider turning circle, ie.less of a stering lock.

Get practising :)

Now personally I would say jumping straight onto a 600cc or larger is highly unreasonable and maybe even fatal to your health I have thought about this when my dad asked when he wanted to do direct access then when we looked further into it it seems that doing this would be stupid after talking to numerous experienced drivers including my uncle who used to race bikes he even said that he does not think it a good idea to jump straight onto a 600cc so funnily enough today we bought a R125 for my dad for him to learn on then maybe when he has had a lot more experience to then jump onto a 600cc or maybe just use my TZR when I am 17 as the R125 wi be fr me then. After going into totally useless babble I hope this has helped in some deluded way

Now personally I would say jumping straight onto a 600cc or larger is highly unreasonable and maybe even fatal to your health I have thought about this when my dad asked when he wanted to do direct access then when we looked further into it it seems that doing this would be stupid after talking to numerous experienced drivers including my uncle who used to race bikes he even said that he does not think it a good idea to jump straight onto a 600cc so funnily enough today we bought a R125 for my dad for him to learn on then maybe when he has had a lot more experience to then jump onto a 600cc or maybe just use my TZR when I am 17 as the R125 wi be fr me then. After going into totally useless babble I hope this has helped in some deluded way

I think there's also a lot to be said about the attitude of the rider as well. I am riding the R6 no differently to the way I was riding the 125 on my CBT or the CBF500 that I done my DAS on. Yes it's a hell of a first bike to ride but I am riding within my own comfort zone cos I know that if I don't the bike will 'bite' me. I could quite easily go out and buy a 400cc bike ride like a complete idiot and come off, so it goes to show that the maturity and sense of the rider is vitally important. As for starting off on a 125 this was a no-go, simply becuase I'm a big lad and a 125 is just to small and light (as I found out on my CBT). I have also been an advanced driver in the emergency services for the past 10 years so I like to think I got a bit of road sense and experience! After many in depth talks with instructors on my DAS and motorcyclists in work I was told that a 500-600cc would be fine. Anything more would be a waste of money, i.e. increased tax, insurance, servicing etc.

I think there is a bit of stereo typing with the R6. By that I mean as soon as someone says they have passed their test and want an R6 people rightly or wrongly assume they will ride around like Rossi! And for those who do they often come off and get seriously injured or killed. That's not the way I ride at all. Rant over!!