Need help urgently

Reaper94
This post is 5089 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I'm new here, been having issues with my bike for 2.5 weeks (no rides at all, feels like months :( ) and my parents said I should ask on a yamaha Forum.

Anyway, I recently went out to get some petrol, and about 20m away from the station I lost all power and had to push it, I thought "Oh well, ran out of petrol", Filled up, keys in, started it...

Except it wouldnt start, I tried choke on, choke off, neutral gear, 1st gear+clutch, everything, still no avail. It does start (after a lot of hard work) and If I dont slip the clutch to keep it at 7k or more it stops and doesnt start, even when I do this it's hugely jerky. Its not out of water, or 2 stroke oil, chain is correct tension. Its a TZR 50 Btw.

Any help much appreciated; I'm forgetting what its like to get my leg over.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

tried new spark plug? are the plugs wet?

have you knocked the cut off switch on the handle bars?

So I'm new here, been having issues with my bike for 2.5 weeks (no rides at all, feels like months :( ) and my parents said I should ask on a yamaha Forum.

Anyway, I recently went out to get some petrol, and about 20m away from the station I lost all power and had to push it, I thought "Oh well, ran out of petrol", Filled up, keys in, started it...

Except it wouldnt start, I tried choke on, choke off, neutral gear, 1st gear+clutch, everything, still no avail. It does start (after a lot of hard work) and If I dont slip the clutch to keep it at 7k or more it stops and doesnt start, even when I do this it's hugely jerky. Its not out of water, or 2 stroke oil, chain is correct tension. Its a TZR 50 Btw.

Any help much appreciated; I'm forgetting what its like to get my leg over.

yes, new spark plug - fwiw, i dont like champions

yes, new spark plug - fwiw, i dont like champions

Sorry, what is a champion? and what is fwiw?

disregard that, my dad informed me, and he said its nice too see hews thinking along the same lines as you guys.

It does start (after a lot of hard work) and If I dont slip the clutch to keep it at 7k or more it stops and doesnt start, even when I do this it's hugely jerky.

How long was it sitting [ all winter ?] sounds like fuel. Is there a filter on line [ or strainer on the tap] it"l just be letting enuff fuel thru for a short start, " coz u ran out" . cud been dirt in old fuel.

if this is all clear carb cleaned.

How long was it sitting [ all winter ?] sounds like fuel. Is there a filter on line [ or strainer on the tap] it"l just be letting enuff fuel thru for a short start, " coz u ran out" . cud been dirt in old fuel.

if this is all clear carb cleaned.

was sitting for aout 24 hours, Id say 8 of which were raining.

it appears that the issue was the sidestand switch =/

Oh well, at least its sorted. mod close thread please.

I'm glad you got it sorted out, and thanks for replying to say what the cause was. All these questions and answers will help other people with same type of problems.

We all learn things new, what might be obvious to some might be as clear as mud to others.

About ten years ago I had a problem with my speedo which wouldn't go over 30 MPH although I was doing about 60 MPH.

Nobody will guess why, but when explained, not only was it bazaar, but weird.

it appears that the issue was the sidestand switch =/

Oh well, at least its sorted. mod close thread please.

Not so quick son.

So far I've Changed the plug for a new one (gap checked) disconnected the SS switch,(eliminates the possibility of that) slung a good squirt of carb cleaner through it, checked the usual connectors.

it will start but then it stalls, almost like the ignition is failing, seems tickover is low but won't adjust any better via the mix screw (as per the yammie manual)

I suppose I'll spend tomorrow stripping it to check the coil resistances, and possibly stripping and cleaning the carb out, but It seems like electrical to me.

I'm open to ideas tho :dunno:

I'm thinking it can't be anything too serious or it wouldn't start :rolleyes:

Not so quick son.

So far I've Changed the plug for a new one (gap checked) disconnected the SS switch,(eliminates the possibility of that) slung a good squirt of carb cleaner through it, checked the usual connectors.

it will start but then it stalls, almost like the ignition is failing, seems tickover is low but won't adjust any better via the mix screw (as per the yammie manual)

I suppose I'll spend tomorrow stripping it to check the coil resistances, and possibly stripping and cleaning the carb out, but It seems like electrical to me.

I'm open to ideas tho :dunno:

I'm thinking it can't be anything too serious or it wouldn't start :rolleyes:

:eusa_snooty:

This post is 5089 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.