The Psychology of Speed

XT Alan
This post is 7195 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 years ago a journalist lapped the IOM TT Course at 105mph on a standard (straight out of the showroom with NO modifications at all) CBR600

was that martin child(wild child) alan?

@skyline, it was not long ago you were fighting the cause for the slower bike riders on 50's etc such as youself.......now, fair enough you have passed your test and bought a vfr400(not all THAT fast btw and not the type of bike we are talking about here) remember your roots mate, speed isnt the be all and end all(although it will end many things if it keep going on like this)

There's a club in Worthing called Area 51 but you have to get there before 10pm or they're all taken!!! :lol::lol:

how many grannys do you see still going out partying on a friday night?

Not many. The're all out perched on the pillions of Grandads' R1s and Blades, with their cellulite hidden from sight under their leathers.

:idea: Maybe Supersports are good after all, they keep Grannies out of the clubs and pubs :)

I am sure that you are competent N Tart. But are you competent enough to exploit the full potential of a 145 bhp, 175 mph bike on the public roads.

Pete and I live in Death Valley (Wales). It is, literally, horrifying to watch the terrible bike control of the Sunday thrashers as they travel from the Midlands to Aberystwyth on Sundays. Almost without exception (the vast majority) the sports bike riders are going too fast for their own skills and the condition of the roads around here. They are actually quite funny to watch as they scream up to bends and wobble around them, barely in control. The resulting death toll is horrific. Our village has seen 5 deaths within 2 miles in the last 2 years :!: AND all bikers now have zero tolerance and open hostility from the police all over Wales.

Alan speaks the truth.

If me and the wife go out on a Sunday we only take the deserted mountain roads....the main thoroughfare is just Racetrack Wales.

There's bodies being airlifted out every weekend I'm afraid.

Are they trail riders, cruiser guys, tourer types etc?

No....I can't remember when the last one of these types came to grief.

They're all sportsbike riders!

I don't completey disagree with you. 2 years ago I was the victim of another bikers "incompence" he was sitting to near the white line and a camper van coming the other way (it was a narrow road and it was over the white line)

hit him. I don't know what speed the van was doing but it was more than the 40mph limit. We were doing 40 (it had just started raining and besides I know the police ALWAYS sit in the layby just before the limit ends) anyway the van hit him and threw him back down the road where he landed literaly under my front wheel taking me off.

He was killed, I got a broken shoulder and all the vehicles where impounded (did you know that they treat fatal accs like murder investigations they impound all the evidence and you don't get it back until a satifactory conclusion has been made. They had my bike for 9 months in the end but they said they can keep it forever if they don't solve the case)

there where other bikers as witnesses I didn't know him or them but the police decided we must be lying and that we must have been racing and decided they would therefore try and prosecute me for reckless endangerment. They even came to my place of work and dragged out to be interviewed (in front of customers I might add) I had to get a solicitor they asked me millions of irrelevent questions ( the one that sticks in my mind is why isn't my my R1 fitted with ABS??) and I had months of stress and sleepless nights until the CPS decided that there was actually no case and what the f**k where they trying to do to me.

So you see I am fully aware of the possible consequences of mine and other peoples actions.I've lost 2 good friends in the last six weeks cos of other peoples actions but the fact still remains that:-

1. Going fast is fun

2. Everybody no matter what bike they ride can sometimes over estimate there ability.

When I got the R1 back Icouldn't look at it with out bursting into tears and wanting to throw up. It was already twin piped and had a different paint job. I told my other half to fix it and sell it. He fixed it single sided it (it had to have a new one anyway cos it was f**k by the company who took it to storage) and gave it a different paintjob. Funnily i didn't want to sell it then.

I still won't ride with people I don't know tho and I have only been out one sunday this year ( lets face it sunday is moron day).

I still do trackdays tho that doesn't bother me at all.Strange :?

i used to have one but the gulls took it away :( bastards spotted what they thought was a mullet under it and dive bombed me :shock: little did they know it was actually all over length 8)

1. Going fast is fun

2. Everybody no matter what bike they ride can sometimes over estimate there ability.

1. Agreed 100%. The adrenelin rush you get from going fast is addictive and people actually get hooked on it and need more and more and more.

2. Agreed 100%. The consequences on a trail bike are less severe though.

That you are still riding after your experience, proves that biking is an affliction :roll: Once bitten, forever smitten!

The consequences on a trail bike are less severe though.

My bike screwed me up, although I guess it could have been worse :roll:

Nemesis kicks ass :P

it's the sensation of speed i'd say pete. i've had my bro in laws fz750 at clock indicated 130mph and then took my rd out, got it up to 70/80 and it feels faster!! same buzz but alot slower/safer. that's the key, people need to realise there's a big fun factor to be had on non sports bikes at half the speed, twice the comfort, half the cost, safer to your license and safer for yourself/others!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online